[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Need recommendations for 100 MB hard drive

hunter@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Hunter Scales) (01/24/91)

	Well, I'm finally fed up with my SE's 20 MB hard disk.  I am
	looking for recommendations on a 100 MB external hard drive.
	I remember this topic coming up some time ago and I believe
	someone mentioned a company call APS.  I cant seem to find
	any ads in MacUser for this company.  Are they still in
	business?

	Anyway, I would appreciate hearing from you guys.  I will
	post a summary, if warranted.

	Thanks for you time.
--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas             {harvard,utah-cs,gatech}!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!hunter

thewho@elaine31.stanford.edu (Derek Fong) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan23.170123.11912@oakhill.sps.mot.com> hunter@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Hunter Scales) writes:

>	Well, I'm finally fed up with my SE's 20 MB hard disk.  I am
>	looking for recommendations on a 100 MB external hard drive.
>	I remember this topic coming up some time ago and I believe
>	someone mentioned a company call APS.  I cant seem to find
>	any ads in MacUser for this company.  Are they still in
>	business?
>
>	Anyway, I would appreciate hearing from you guys.  I will
>	post a summary, if warranted.
>
>	Thanks for you time.
>--

Well, I bought an external Quantum 105 MB from APS about a month ago.  I
found their service to be excellent along with a fair price.

Here is the phone number: 1-800-233-7550

The drive cost me at total of $624.20 (that's including shipping).  The
drive itself costs ($599).  They ship it next day Federal Express is if you
call by 10 am MDT.

Comments on the drive:

Lightning fast: they rate it at 12 ms by the Core test, although APS includes
a "real world" seek test which gives you around 25 ms or so as an average.
That is about 20% faster than my internal drive for my SE/30.  I am not sure
what kind of performance you'll get on your SE since it has a slower SCSI
port, but I would think that it would be significantly faster than your intern-
al 20 MB.

The drive formats to a little over 10 MB, I think around 100.5 MB.

It comes with the necessary SCSI terminator along with cable.

Also included is a stuffit archive of nearly 20 MB of Public Domain/Shareware
software stuff.

They also include their own utility which is not feature packed, but will
help you partition your new drive or mount it if you didn't do so when you
booted your computer.

The only complaint I have on the thing is that the fan is quite noisy.  I
would say it is twice as loud as the internal fan for my SE/30.  That is a
bit annoying at times, but then again, after a while, I forget the fan after
it has been on for a while...I might try to swap my internal and external
drives someimte...

Anyways, hope this helps.

---Derek Fong
fong@cive.stanford.edu
thewho@portia.stanford.edu

kevin@mermaid.Litle.Com (Kevin P Burke) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan23.170123.11912@oakhill.sps.mot.com> hunter@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Hunter Scales) writes:

>	someone mentioned a company call APS.  I cant seem to find
>	any ads in MacUser for this company.  Are they still in
>	business?

yeppers...grab the latest issue of MacUser...that would be Feb '91...open to
page 376...look carefully...they have a small add...but I'm sure you'll find
it...

>	Thanks for you time.

uh...well...thats ok...I didn't need um...THREE HOURS...THAT'S the ticket!

>--
>Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
>Austin, Texas             {harvard,utah-cs,gatech}!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!hunter
>#include <disclaimer.h>

-k
--
Kevin P. Burke, SysAdm/Postmaster, Litle & Co | POB C26, Hanover, NH 03755-6000
   I've decided to live a thousand lives to   |