[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Confirmation needed on monitor and disk compatibility

dan@s3sol.scubed (Dan Peterka) (01/25/91)

We recently bought a whole bunch of IIsi machines and needed to
reconfigure a few of them to take advantage of existing equipment.

Prior to the arrival of the IIsi's we had an old SE's drive die and we
had bought a generic 40MB internal SCSI drive as a replacement.  It
turned out to be a Connor 3040 and it worked right out of the box. We
were happy to see that the IIsi's had these same drives which we
needed to remove from a couple of them so that they could be used as
classified WP machines (using Syquests). Great! we'll use the drives
as spares!

Well, the day soon came when another SE died. We could not get the
Connor 3040 drive from the IIsi to work on this box; eventhough it
easily worked on any IIsi we choose to hook it to. On the SE, it could
not be seen on the SCSI bus at all - no amount of fiddling with
terminators, SCSI ID's, and 'advanced' disk partitioning software made
any difference.

We shrugged our collective shoulders and ended up buying a CMS
external to get going again.

A month or so later, another SE died. Being tenacious fellows, we
decided to see if we can get the Connor drive into it again. Lo and
behold, it works! No problem at all - didn't even reformat it. The
only difference is that this is an SE with an FDHD - unlike the
previous unit.

    Question Set #1: What is going on here? Has Apple changed their
		     SCSI bus between SE's and SE/FDHD's? Why did the
		     first Conner drive work? Are Conner's built into
		     Apple equipment different than off the street
		     units?

Our second IIsi experience had to due with moving a color monitor from
a IIcx to a IIsi. Apple video is Apple video, right? Wrong, because
our 3rd party color monitors (a NEC MacSync and a Sony 1302 multiscan)
would not work on the IIsi. We don't have any IIci machines, so I'm
not sure if this would also be a problem there.

My *guess* on this problem is that the built-in video board needs to
sense something about the monitor in order to determine whether it is
connected to a 12" color, a 13" color, portrait, or 13" mono monitor.
Apple video boards in IIcx boxes assume 13" displays only.

    Question Set #2: What is the IIsi video card looking at? Is it
		     built into the cable or the monitor?

Thank you for your support....

Dan Peterka                      S-CUBED              3398 Carmel Mtn Rd.
dan@scubed.scubed.com        (619) 587-8338           San Diego, CA 92121

hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (01/25/91)

In article <DAN.91Jan24094356@s3sol.scubed> dan@s3sol.scubed (Dan Peterka) writes:

>Our second IIsi experience had to due with moving a color monitor from
>a IIcx to a IIsi. Apple video is Apple video, right? Wrong, because
>our 3rd party color monitors (a NEC MacSync and a Sony 1302 multiscan)
>would not work on the IIsi. We don't have any IIci machines, so I'm
>not sure if this would also be a problem there.
>
>My *guess* on this problem is that the built-in video board needs to
>sense something about the monitor in order to determine whether it is
>connected to a 12" color, a 13" color, portrait, or 13" mono monitor.
>Apple video boards in IIcx boxes assume 13" displays only.
>
>    Question Set #2: What is the IIsi video card looking at? Is it
>		     built into the cable or the monitor?

It's built into the cable.   I forget the pinouts now, but could
probably find them. When my 1302 moved from my old IIcx with video card
to the ne ci with internal video, it needed a new cable.  The sense
lines basically involve a special ground configuration.

One other thing you need to be careful about is the physical construction
of the cable head.  On the vidoeo card, the port is out in mid-air with
nothing around it.  With the ci/si the port is surrounded by the case.
and their is very little clearance around it.  THe up shot is that when
I got the pinouts I made my own cable, but it wouldn't fit because the shell
of the head wrapped around a bit to far (to hold the shell together) and
butted against the IIci case.

THe solution was to buy a premade cable (I got one from Software that Fits)
with a molded (rather than assembled) head. This fit great.

Josh Hodas

Josh Hodas    		Home Phone:	     (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street	School Office Phone: (215) 898-9514
Philadelphia, PA 19104	New E-Mail Address:  hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu