[fa.info-vax] Array Processors

info-vax (05/11/82)

>From CSVAX.pag@Berkeley Mon May 10 18:58:31 1982
Anyone out there using an array processor (either under UNIX or VMS)?
I would be interested in hearing about your experiences.  Please send
mail to me; if there is interest, I can summarize for the net.

--peter gross

arpa: CSVAX.pag@BERKELEY
uucp: ucbvax!menlo70!hao!pag

info-vax (05/12/82)

>From lsmith.eos@PARC-MAXC Wed May 12 09:45:53 1982
>From Lsmith.eos at Arpanet site MAXC
We received a FPS AP-180V processor a few months ago.  I don't know how it
works yet as FPS has just gotten it to run their test programs.  I think it was a
machine ment to be use for a final exam for advanced maintenance classes...it
had cables plugged in upside-down, loose leads on the power supply,
incorrect/incomplete mods to one of the control boards, plus as assortment of bad
chips and switches.  So, good luck in getting one up!  (p.s. ours was the first
P-180V (the vax specific AP) on the west coast, which may have something to
do with it)

info-vax (05/12/82)

>From THOMPSON@USC-ECLB Wed May 12 10:51:28 1982

We have had an AP on one of our 20's and it was total headache time. We
seem to have had a prototype interface which was evidently designed by
someone with no access to DEC's documentation of their memories, it
did not work correctly at all. FPS was at least helpful about fixing
it, but it took a LONG time.

On the Twenty, also, you dont gain that much performance without VERY
careful coding of programs to run in the AP (their fortran wasn't
nearly good enuf at reducing loading/unloading programs and data
from the AP).

On the other hand, one of the people here has an AP-120 on an 11 and
he seems pretty satisfied.

					Mark
-------