[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Why have SIMM prices recently gone up so dramatically?

hardin@dino.cad.mcc.com (John Hardin) (01/24/91)

As the subject line says, WHY have SIMM prices gone up so dramatically
(recently)?  Look at Peripheral Outlet's recent pricing trend:
12.04.90: $39; 12.18.90: $29(!); 01.08.91: $35; 01.15.91: $39 (all
prices are from MacWeek).  If oil prices were skyrocketing I could
understand, but they're not!  Anybody got any ideas?  (Were these just
Christmas/EndOfYear specials?)

I'm asking because I need to buy some memory and was hoping to get 4M
for ~$100, but such is not the case.  (I thought procrastination
would've, in this case, helped! :-)

A frustrated user in need of SIMM memory...
-jwh
--
John Hardin, MCC CAD Program | ARPA: hardin@mcc.com | Phone: [512] 338-3535
Box 200195, Austin, TX 78720 | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!hardin

jeffh@oregon.uoregon.edu (Jeff Hite) (01/26/91)

John Hardin of mcc.com writes:

>As the subject line says, WHY have SIMM prices gone up so dramatically
>(recently)?  Look at Peripheral Outlet's recent pricing trend:
>12.04.90: $39; 12.18.90: $29(!); 01.08.91: $35; 01.15.91: $39 (all
>prices are from MacWeek).  If oil prices were skyrocketing I could
>understand, but they're not!  Anybody got any ideas?  (Were these just
>Christmas/EndOfYear specials?)

>I'm asking because I need to buy some memory and was hoping to get 4M
>for ~$100, but such is not the case.  (I thought procrastination
>would've, in this case, helped! :-)

>A frustrated user in need of SIMM memory...

The prices have gone up due to the same formula that a free market is
driven on...Supply and Demand. A month or so ago the market was flooded
with 8 bit 80ns SIMM's. This of course breeds intense competition for your
hard earned dollars, thus the plethora of ads in the trade magazines.
Well, the original manufacturers of these little gems didn't really like
reduced profit margins so they take the logical course for their
companies.....cut back production to reduce the supply available.  With
the incredible response to Apple's new machines and pricing the demand
will not go away soon.

  I purchase these critters in 200+ quanities and was forewarned of the
situation by the folks I get them from about 45 days ago.  My OPINION is
that the price will continue to climb and then level off in the $60 range.
 Persons wishing to upgrade or get ready for system 7 should probably make
their move now.......

Hope this helps someone in netland.

Jeff Hite   KF7SZ
Service Manager
Computing Center,  U of Oregon
Phone: 503.346.4403
Internet: jeffh@ns.uoregon.edu
Disclamer:  Any semblance of statements made here to reality are directly
proportional to the uncertainty principle.