[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Bug on si?

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/26/91)

From article <1892@blackbird.afit.af.mil>, by rkoble@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Roger D. Koble):
> I recently purchased a IIsi. Occationaly I get an odd bug. When clicking
> on a dialog box button sometimes the computer will continue to act as
> if the mouse button is down (even though it is up). For example, if you
> move up to a pull down menu, it pulls it down, or if you move back on top
> of the dialog box button, it gets hilighted. Clicking on the button again
> usually clears up the problem. Since this happens in various applications
> I suspect that it is either a system or an si bug. Does anyone else have
> this problem. Is there any correction for it?

I have this problem on my si at home, but haven't noticed it on any of
the ones at work.  I conjecture that it's perhaps a bad mouse?  (I've
had correspondence with other users experiencing the same problems on
si's, which conflicts with my conjecture of course, and indicates an
si-specific problem.)

Any other si owners with this problem out there?  Important, too: any
*non-si* owners out there with this problem?  Maybe it's specific to
new mice, not just this new machine.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

kpmiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Kent P Miller) (01/26/91)

I have noticed this too - on an SE/30 running 6.0.7.  Maybe that's the
problem !?!

--
-----------------------
Kent Miller

so@duke.cs.duke.edu (Steve Owen) (01/26/91)

In article <3830@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <1892@blackbird.afit.af.mil>, by rkoble@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Roger D. Koble):
>> I recently purchased a IIsi. Occationaly I get an odd bug. When clicking
>> on a dialog box button sometimes the computer will continue to act as
>> if the mouse button is down (even though it is up).
>
>Any other si owners with this problem out there?  Important, too: any
>*non-si* owners out there with this problem?  Maybe it's specific to
>new mice, not just this new machine.

I have the same problem on my IIsi running 6.0.7.  I had assumed the
problem was caused by one of my many INITs, but I had not taken the
trouble to try to track down the guilty one.  If this is a hardware
problem (such as a bad mouse) I would like to know so I can get it
fixed.  Anyone out there know the answer?

Steve

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
                              Steve Owen
ARPA:	so@cs.duke.edu			Department of Computer Science
CSNET:	so@duke				Duke University
UUCP:	{mcnc,decvax}!duke!so		Durham, NC 27706 USA
"It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety."
- Isaac Asimov
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/26/91)

 From article <664826581@grad15.cs.duke.edu>, by so@duke.cs.duke.edu (Steve Owen):
> I have the same problem on my IIsi running 6.0.7.  I had assumed the
> problem was caused by one of my many INITs, but I had not taken the
> trouble to try to track down the guilty one.  If this is a hardware
> problem (such as a bad mouse) I would like to know so I can get it
> fixed.  Anyone out there know the answer?

OK, why don't we do this:  if you're experiencing the problem, mail
me:
	Your machine model and system version number
	How old your machine / mouse are

I'll collate the results.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

pmbergland@violet.uwaterloo.ca (Per Bergland) (01/26/91)

Just got my si, and I must say that I'm pleased getting the real
heavy ball in the mouse instead of the ill-reputated lightweight one.

I have the same problem with the mouse button sticking, but I think
it only happens in control manager devices (buttons, scrollbar arrrows etc.).

Whassamatter?

-Per
--

kevinb@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Kevin Brewer) (01/26/91)

In article <3830@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <1892@blackbird.afit.af.mil>, by rkoble@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Roger D. Koble):
>> I recently purchased a IIsi. Occationaly I get an odd bug. When clicking
>> on a dialog box button sometimes the computer will continue to act as

  [ stuff exactly describing the problem I have deleted]

 YES!!! I too have recently had this exact same problem with my
 new IIsi. It seems to occur at any time (buttons, menus,etc).

 Thinking it was a corrupted system problem, I reinstalled a new
 system from the master disk. Alas, the problem came back. :-(

 I also notice that the keyboard seems to forget that I type a
 key every once in a while (or is it just my poor typing?).
 Because of this, I have wondered if it was a ADB related
 problem.

 What to do? Does Apple have an official (or unofficial)
 statement on this yet? Should we take the Mac's back to the
 dealer for a diagnostic (sp?) check?

 PRAISE ON
 The net is great! I thought I had inadvertently fried my mac.
 Now I know that others have the same problem. "I'm not alone in
 this world anymore." :-) :-) :-)
 PRAISE OFF

 Kevin B.
 kevinb@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu
Kevin Brewer
kevinb@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu
  "When water chokes you, what are you to drink to wash it down?" -Aristotle

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (01/26/91)

From article <1892@blackbird.afit.af.mil>, by rkoble@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Roger D. Koble):
> I recently purchased a IIsi. Occationaly I get an odd bug. When clicking
> on a dialog box button sometimes the computer will continue to act as

  I have a IIsi, and _have not_ encountered this problem, buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...
I am disatisfied with the mouse, anyways.  The rollers in it seem to clog
up about evry week to the point where the mouse skips across the screen and
I can actually feel the mouse 'stick' alittle.
  So is this why the IIsi is so cheap?  No real interrupt and a mouse with
various problems????

macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) (01/27/91)

In article <1991Jan25.192910.10529@watdragon.waterloo.edu> pmbergland@violet.uwaterloo.ca (Per Bergland) writes:
>Just got my si, and I must say that I'm pleased getting the real
>heavy ball in the mouse instead of the ill-reputated lightweight one.
>
>I have the same problem with the mouse button sticking, but I think
>it only happens in control manager devices (buttons, scrollbar arrrows etc.).

Wrong!  I was playing with our scanner station here in the lab today and I had
my first button stick on the SI (heavy-ball, "better" (even though I was one
of the more vocal complainers about the light "worse") mouse).  It was when
I was clicking on a menu... I decided not to do what I was gonna do, so I just
moved the mouse back up to the menu bar, let go of the button, and lo and
behold... the menu stayed there!  Confused the heck out of the other user-
consultant here!  But the scary part is... the menu staying on when you let
go of the button has real shades of a PC-like quality to it... yuck!

So, it appears that you *can't get* a good mouse from Apple these days...
it'll either jump all over the place, or play dead :-).

Dennis Lippert - macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu