[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Do Classics work with 800k drives?

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (01/27/91)

	A friend of mine just got a Mac Classic; I found a spare 800k
floppy drive lying around... and plugged it in.  It doesn't work.
A 400k drive (there's LOTS of those spare) likewise wasn't recognized.
Is this just a faulty Classic?  The 800k drive worked OK on my
Plus.  I thought the SWIM chip (that controls the floppies) was
compatible with all the older drives, as well as with the 1.4Mbyte
superdrives.
	So, has anyone successfully used the external floppy drive
port on a Classic?  Maybe this unit should go back to the dealer.

	John Whitmore

p.s. the power is OK, and the LED inside the drive lights up, but
MacEnvy finds only two disk drives; the HD and the internal floppy.

khester@cs.utexas.edu (Stewart Kevin Hester) (01/27/91)

In article <15249@milton.u.washington.edu> whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) writes:

>	So, has anyone successfully used the external floppy drive
>port on a Classic?  Maybe this unit should go back to the dealer.

	I have used an old Apple 800k drive with a new Classic without a
problem.  The Classic is brand new and the drive is real old, if anything
shouldn't work this shouldn't :-).

khester@cs.utexas.edu
S. Kevin Hester