[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Problems with Hard Drives International <long>

lubell@soleil.cs.umd.edu (Josh Lubell) (01/22/91)

The following account describes my dealings with Hard Drives
International.  This message has two
purposes.  First, I would like to know if anyone has had a similar
experience in the past, either with Hard Drives or with someone else,
and was able to get results by complaining to the right person.
Second, I want to make others who are about to purchase a disk drive
aware of what happended to me so they can choose their vendor
accordingly.

My problems began back in November when my Macintosh SE/30 started
having problems booting off of its hard disk, an 80 MB internal
Quantum drive from Hard Drives International.  My dealer ran some
tests and determined that the disk drive was the problem.  Since
my Mac dealer was not responsible for fixing the hard disk, he
returned my computer with the disk drive removed.

I then called Hard Drives International and spoke to Norm Edgar, the
salesman who sold me the drive back in June.  He told me to send my
drive back for a replacement according to the terms of my warranty.  I
then asked if he would let me upgrade from an internal to an external
drive so that I could install the replacement drive myself without
involving my Mac dealer or voiding my Mac's warranty.  Mr. Edgar
agreed to this, and told me to enclose $100 for the upgrade with my
broken disk drive and address the package to his attention.  I then
asked him how long I would have to wait for my replacement
drive.  He said that if I enclosed the $100 in the form of a money
order, Hard Drives International could process my order in 48 hours
since they would not have to wait for a check to clear.

On November 21, I sent my broken disk drive along with a copy of my
original invoice and $100 to Hard Drives International via UPS.  Since
I wanted to get my replacement drive as soon as possible, I paid the
$100 in the form of a money order.  UPS told me that my package would
take up to 5 working days to get to Hard Drives International.
Therefore, allowing for the Thanksgiving holiday, I expected my
package to be received on the 29th or the 30th.

Starting the end of November, I called Hard Drives International daily
to ask them if they had received my package.  Every time I called, they
looked my name up on their computer and informed me that that they
had no record of any transaction with me except my original purchase
back in June.  Then they would ask me when I sent my package.  When
I told them, they expressed surprise that it did not appear in their
records, since they process incoming orders within 48 hours.  They
suggested that UPS had lost my package and advised me to have
them trace it.

I followed Hard Drive International's advice and had UPS trace my
package.  By this time, I had already been without a working hard disk
drive for two weeks (not including the time my Mac was at the
dealer's), and I desperately needed one in order to be productive.
After ascertaining from UPS that if my package was lost and I had to
file an insurance claim, it would take another 10 working
days before I received any payment, I decided that I could not wait
any longer.

On December 7, I ordered a disk drive from another company.  I
received it at my home on December 11th.  On the same day, I got the
result of UPS's shipper trace in the mail, showing that my
package was signed for by Hard Drives International on a shipper's
sheet dated 11/29 at the bottom.  In other words, assuming UPS's
records were correct, Hard Drives International had my broken drive
for for more than a week, yet they repeatedly told me over the phone
that they never got it!

Needless to say, I was furious.  I decided at that point that
I would call Hard Drives International and demand a refund for the
original purchase price of the drive ($600) plus the $100 I
sent them for the upgrade, plus postage I had to pay in sending it
back to them.

On December 12, I called Hard Drives International and asked to speak
to Norm Edgar.  When I told him I wanted my money back and why, he
immediately transferred me to Greg Phillips, the Customer Service
Supervisor.  Mr. Phillips refused to give me my money back.  He told
me that my upgraded replacement drive had just been sent to me via
Federal Express.  He also asked me to fax him my shipper trace from
UPS so he could investigate the situation.  I told
him I still wanted my money back and that I would refuse the upgraded
drive when it was delivered to my home.  I immediately faxed him the UPS
trace, as he requested.

Although Mr. Phillips promised to get back to me the same day, I did
not hear from him.  Late in the afternoon, I called to find out what was
happening, and a woman who answered the phone told me that he was
still investigating and would contact me the next day.  On December
13, I called Mr. Phillips and asked him what happened.  He said he had
contacted UPS as well as talked with Mr. Hill, the employee who signed
for my package when UPS delivered.  He told me that he was skeptical
about the accuracy of UPS's records and pointed out some
apparent inconsistencies on the shipper trace to back up his
assertion.  I acknowledged that, given these irregularities, the
fault might lie with UPS and not Hard Drives International, as I
originally thought.  Mr. Phillips promised me that he would look into
the situation some more.  I said I would do the same.

On December 14, I called UPS and told them that Hard Drives
International was questioning the accuracy of their shipper trace.
They said they would do a driver trace and that I would get the
results within five working days.  Also on December 14, the upgraded
disk drive from Hard Drives International arrived.  I refused it.

On December 18, I got the result of UPS's driver trace.  It confirmed
that Hard Drives International received and signed for my broken disk
drive on November 29.

On December 19, I called Greg Phillips and told him the results of
UPS's driver trace.  This time he did not question UPS's records.
He said he would talk with Rick Rickert, the General Manager of
Hard Drives International, and that he would call me back.  Later
that day, Mr. Phillips called me back (this was the only instance in
all of my dealings with Mr. Phillips where he kept his
promise to call me back) and told me Mr. Rickert would not give me my
money back.  He said he would deliver the upgraded replacement drive
to me again that I refused.  He also said that if I was still
dissatisfied, I could write to him, Mr. Rickert, and anyone else I
chose.  Since Hard Drives International was unwilling to refund my
money and I had no other choice, I agreed to this.

On December 31, almost a month and a half after my troubles began, I
received and accepted the replacement drive.  Although I was happy
with the drive I bought from another company (when I thought UPS had
lost the broken drive I returned to Hard Drives International), I had
to return it, since it had a 30 day money back guarantee, and Hard
Drives was unwilling to give me my money back.

I think that Hard Drives International should reimburse me for the
original price of my drive plus $100 for the upgrade plus postage
expenses incurred in buying and returning the drive I ordered on
December 7 from another company, payable upon receipt of my upgraded
drive.  I believe that I am entitled to compensation for the following
reasons:

1. Norm Edgar told me that my replacement drive would be shipped out
to me within 48 hours after they received my broken drive.  However,
according to UPS's records, Hard Drives International had my broken
drive for two weeks before sending out my replacement.

2. Although I called Hard Drives International daily to check on the
whereabouts of of my package, nobody I spoke with offered to look for
it.  Instead, they told me that they never got it and suggested that
I have UPS trace it, when in fact they actually had it all along.
If they disagree with UPS, then it is their responsibility to prove
UPS make the mistake and not them.

3. Although they question the truthfulness of UPS, Hard Drives
International has not proven that Mr. Hill did not receive and sign for
my broken disk drive on November 29.

4. Since Hard Drives International has not lived up to its
obligations, I should be free to buy my disk drive from another company.

Thanks for your attention (and patience in reading this long article).
I would appreciate any pointers regarding who to contact with this
problem.  I have already sent letters to Rick Rickert at Hard Drives
and the consumer complaints departments of MacUser and MacWorld
magazines along with copies of my invoices, UPS traces, etc.

-Josh

scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) (01/23/91)

In article <29407@mimsy.umd.edu>, lubell@soleil.cs.umd.edu (Josh Lubell) writes:
> [ a long sad story ]

Sorry, but I think you're being unreasonable.  You bought a drive
that worked fine for 5 months and then developed trouble.  The
dealer honored the warranty and even allowed you to switch from an
internal to external drive for a small fee, which they were under
no obligation to do.  It is unfortunate that you didn't get the
replacement as quickly as you would have liked, but it is a fact
of life that mixups sometimes occur.  Certainly you can't expect a
full refund -- can you imagine buying a lawnmower, having it break
after 5 months, and then demanding a full refund because you bought
a different lawnmower since you had to cut your grass and getting
it fixed was taking too long?  They'd laugh you right out of the
store!

Did you send the drive to the salesman's attention like he told
you to?  If so, when you called to inquire about the status, why
didn't you call him?  It seems to me that it is quite likely that
he was out of the office and the disk sat on his desk the whole
time.  This would certainly explain why there was no record of it
in their computer system.  Did you ever indicate to them that you
considered this to be time critical?  If you were in that big of
a hurry, why didn't you offer to pay for the new drive and have
them send it right away and then issue a credit when they received
your old drive?  This is a fairly common practice and I suspect
they would have suggested it if they knew you needed it quickly.
----
Larry Jones, SDRC, 2000 Eastman Dr., Milford, OH  45150-2789  513-576-2070
Domain: scjones@thor.UUCP  Path: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
Santa's gonna skip this block for years. -- Calvin

arie@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (01/26/91)

I can't offer you help, but I sympathize with your cause, and it was
right for you to post it on the net.  I had similar problems with a
MacBottom hard drive from PCPC, and they had my drive fo 7 (seven)
months, without ever returning my calls, notifying me of the status
of my drive or compensating me for the period I had no hard disk,
and all this under the warranty agreement.

Arie Covrigaru                     |    Internet: arie@eecs.umich.edu
University of Michigan AI Lab      |    1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109

wcarroll@encore.com (Mr. New Dad) (01/29/91)

From article <132@thor.UUCP>, by scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones):
> lubell@soleil.cs.umd.edu (Josh Lubell) writes:
>> [ a long sad story ]
>
> Sorry, but I think you're being unreasonable.

Sorry, but I don't. If I had a business that depended on the use
of that drive, was promised a 48-hour turnaround, and lost 2 weeks
of business because the vendor screwed up, I sure as hell would
want some kind of remuneration.

Yes, there were other ways the situation could have been handled,
but the basic fact is that the vendor screwed up and wasn't
willing to do anything other than say "Oops!"

There are too many companies out there that care about their
customers to spend one second having to deal with those that don't.

--
William R. Carroll  (Encore Computer Corp., Ft. Lauderdale FL)
wcarroll@encore.com         uunet!gould!wcarroll