[comp.sys.mac.hardware] second internal harddisk

fstiva@cs.vu.nl (Stiva F) (01/28/91)

Can anyone answer the following question:

Is it possible to add an additional internal harddisk to a Macintosh II ?

The system:  Macintosh II
             5 MB memory
	     Apple 8-bit video-card
             internal 40-MB harddisk (5 1/4")

The harddisk: 3.5" half-height LaCie drive (80 or 105 MB)

The following answers I received sofar:

- The supplier told me that it is posible. They can supply the disk with the
  necessary cable and connection-set. The two disks will both be connected to
  the internal SCSI-connector. A similar solution will be used for the
  power cable.

- Apple-Computers told me that it is not possible. The internal SCSI-interface
  does not support more than one harddisk. (So there is a difference between
  the internal and external SCSI-connector. Is the internal one not a true
  SCSI interface?)

Has anyone managed to get a second harddisk in his/her Macintosh II?
Or who can tell me more about the problem?

Fulco

Fulco Stiva  (fstiva@cs.vu.nl)
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
The Netherlands

In article <8843@star.cs.vu.nl> fstiva@cs.vu.nl (Stiva F) writes:

>Can anyone answer the following question:
>
>Is it possible to add an additional internal harddisk to a Macintosh II ?
>

>The system:  Macintosh II
>             5 MB memory
>	     Apple 8-bit video-card
>             internal 40-MB harddisk (5 1/4")
>
>The harddisk: 3.5" half-height LaCie drive (80 or 105 MB)
>

>The following answers I received sofar:
>
>- The supplier told me that it is posible. They can supply the disk with the
>  necessary cable and connection-set. The two disks will both be connected to
>  the internal SCSI-connector. A similar solution will be used for the
>  power cable.
>
>- Apple-Computers told me that it is not possible. The internal SCSI-interface
>  does not support more than one harddisk. (So there is a difference between
>  the internal and external SCSI-connector. Is the internal one not a true
>  SCSI interface?)
>

>Has anyone managed to get a second harddisk in his/her Macintosh II?
>Or who can tell me more about the problem?
Haven't done it myself, but I've seen Mac II's with this configuration. There
is a longer SCSI ribbon with three connectors, and a power 'Y' cable.  Apple
is wrong.  The disk goes into the left floppy spot, so if you have two
floppies, you probably can't do it (unless they figured out a way to mount it
UNDER the big disk.)