[comp.sys.mac.hardware] WANTED: Information on Mac->VGA displays

ez002644@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Eric W. Douglas) (01/29/91)

Then.. Saiid Paryavi (paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu) writes:

>Here is the layman's guide to building a cable to connect the LC to standard
>VGA monitors:

[schematic deleted. available on request]

>Put the hoods on and if you did everything right, it should work just fine.
>It works good for me.

>WARNING:  Do this at your own risk.  I am not responsible for the acuracy
>of the above and I am definately not responsible for whatever goes wrong.

What I am wondering is, is that this should work for *any* macintosh
with 8bit video, right? I mean the specs for the LC video port would be
the same as an 8/24 card, right? So, how come this hasnUt been attempted
before, or, if it has, how come it is not public knowledge?

I would like anyone who has tried the VGA configuration on the LC, or one
who has tried it with an 8, 8/24 card and VGA, to send me mail, and
report their results. (i.e. clarity, picture quality, etc.)

I have seen VGA monitors considerably cheaper than most mac color monitors,
and I beleive this would be highly benificial to a lot of people.

I will summarize all responses and post them.

Thanks for your time.

Eric W. Douglas                        * internet: ericd@csufres.csufresno.edu
Dept. of Computer Science              *           ez002644@deneb.ucdavis.edu
California State University, Fresno    *