[comp.sys.mac.hardware] APS External Drive: loud fan

thewho@elaine33.stanford.edu (Derek Fong) (01/30/91)

About a month ago I purchased a 105 MB Quantum external from APS.  I got very
quick and reliable service from them and am pretty pleased with it.  The only
thing that I don't like about it is that the fan which it has is quite loud.

My questions are:

1) Have other people had the same experience or did I somehow get a bad fan?

2) I have an SE/30 with an internal 40 MB.  How much work is involved in
switching the 105 from the external case and swapping it with the 40 MB one.
Is it as simple as disconnecting a few things, and mounting the the new one on
the bracket?  Are there going to be SCSI identification problems if I do that?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Please reply via email.
Thanks in advance.

---Derek Fong
fong@cive.stanford.edu
thewho@portia.stanford.edu

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan30.083902.15058@portia.Stanford.EDU> thewho@elaine33.stanford.edu (Derek Fong) writes:
>About a month ago I purchased a 105 MB Quantum external from APS.  I got very
>quick and reliable service from them and am pretty pleased with it.  The only
>thing that I don't like about it is that the fan which it has is quite loud.
>
>My questions are:
>
>1) Have other people had the same experience or did I somehow get a bad fan?

I have an APS Syquest drive and also find the fan somewhat noisy (in
other words, I can hear the fan over my IIci.  It could be quieter!).

>2) I have an SE/30 with an internal 40 MB.  How much work is involved in
>switching the 105 from the external case and swapping it with the 40 MB one.
>Is it as simple as disconnecting a few things, and mounting the the new one on
>the bracket?  Are there going to be SCSI identification problems if I do that?

It should be quite simple.  The mounting and the connectors for both
drives should be indentical.  You may need to see if there is a jumper
on the internal drive where the SCSI switch cable on the internal one
goes and move those jumpers over so that the internal one stays at ID 0.

---
Andy Peterman                       |   Opinions expressed
treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com  | are definitely those of
(916) 273-4569                      |      my employer!