[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Deskwriter: serial vs PhoneNet

dennyt@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Tom Denny) (01/25/91)

In the back of my Deskwriter book (Appendix 1) it states that the Buffer
Size for a Deskwriter connected VIA serial is 16K; however, one connected
using localtalk has only an 8K buffer.

Next it goes on to say this about the I/O Interface:
  RS-422-A (serial) 	57.6Kbps
  LocalTalk 		230.4Kbps

Here is my question:  given a 32K file, which would give the quickest
output:
A Deskwriter connected to a lone mac using the serial interface or
B Deskwriter connected to a lone (just one) mac using PhoneNet.

I haven't been able to test this because I have not purchased the
PhoneNet connectors yet.  I would appreciate it if someone could send
me any info they may have one this.

Thanks Much!
							 O_o
Tom Denny      dennyt@prism.cs.orst.edu	(Preferred)	#( )#
	       tdenny@jove.cs.pdx.edu     (CSNet)	  U   - ack, thptt
	       dennyt@pro-applephelia.cts.com

neff@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (01/29/91)

>Here is my question:  given a 32K file, which would give the quickest
>output:
>A Deskwriter connected to a lone mac using the serial interface or
>B Deskwriter connected to a lone (just one) mac using PhoneNet.

The DeskWriter typically has virtually identical performance both on
LocalTalk (assuming the LAN is not real busy) and on 57K baud serial.
The different input buffer size between LocalTalk and serial is not
generally a performance concern, neither is the different effective
IO transfer rates due to the fact that the speed of the DeskWriter
is not IO limitted, rather it is either limitted by the speed of the
Mac (on a Plus, SE, or Classic), or the actual speed the printer can
fire dots.  The DeskWriter makes heavy use of data compression techniques
to eliminate the IO from being the bottleneck in either IO mode.

There is one significant exception:  Data that does not compress well
(full page scanned images are a notable case) can be IO limitted, and
in that case LocalTalk can be significantly faster than serial.
If you do print these kinds of images, the speed improvement might
be worth the cost of the PhoneNet conectors.

One final note to confuse things further:  Activating AppleTalk on
the Mac will eat up some system RAM, that can then slow down the
DeskWriter driver if you have only a 1 meg system.  If you have 2 or
more meg this is not a consideration.  One RAM related speed up
trick for systems with 2 or more meg is to be sure 64K or more of RAM cache
is enabled in the control pannel.  This can speed up the DeskWriter
driver (along with other things).

So in conclusion, if you have at least 2 megs of RAM, a fast Mac
(16 megahertz CPU or more), enable some RAM cache, and compare 57K
baud serial with 230K baud LocalTalk (and an idle LAN), performance will
generally be virtually identical but in some cases LocalTalk can be faster.

The 8K vs. 16K buffer in the two modes is not really a performance
consideration at all.  Basically, input buffer size is mainly an issue
of how fast you get your Mac "back" if not using a spooler.  With
a character based printer, 16K can be several pages of a document.
But on a graphics based printer (like the DeskWriter), the difference
between 8K and 16K of input buffer is just a couple of seconds of
print time, so in serial mode your Mac might be ready to use again
a second or two before in LocalTalk mode, but the actual time for
the printer to finish printing will not be affected by input buffer
size.

I hope this helps.  I designed the DeskWriter LocalTalk and serial
IO processor firmware, wrote a large amount of the firmware, and
characterized the performance in both LocalTalk and serial modes,
so I think you can believe my answer :-).

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

tgl@g.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) (01/30/91)

In article <1170010@hp-vcd.HP.COM>, neff@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Dave Neff) writes:
> [a straight-from-the-horse's-mouth summary of a DeskWriter's performance
>  on serial vs. LocalTalk interfaces; in particular:]
> ... Data that does not compress well
> (full page scanned images are a notable case) can be IO limitted, and
> in that case LocalTalk can be significantly faster than serial.
> If you do print these kinds of images, the speed improvement might
> be worth the cost of the PhoneNet conectors.

Dave's authoritative summary omits one important fact: you don't need to
shell out for those ridiculously expensive LocalTalk connectors if you are
just going to connect one Mac to one printer.  A plain "null modem" RS232
cable will do just fine.  (Your Apple dealer will sell you one if you ask
for an ImageWriter II cable; they're about $10.)

NOTE: for safety with the cheaper cable, you should be sure the Mac and
printer are both plugged into the same power outlet.  The main reason
AppleTalk is so expensive is that there are isolation transformers in the
connectors.  You don't need these if you have only one Mac and one printer
and they are on the same power circuit.

So, assuming you have enough system memory to handle the AppleTalk driver,
by all means switch to AppleTalk.  (I concur with Dave's warning that a 1MB
machine may lose speed with AppleTalk; I don't think the CPU speed is an
issue, however.)

I have not tried this with a DeskWriter, but it works just fine with an
HP LaserJet w/ PostScript.

--
				tom lane
Internet: tgl@cs.cmu.edu

neff@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (01/31/91)

> Dave's authoritative summary omits one important fact: you don't need to
> shell out for those ridiculously expensive LocalTalk connectors if you are
> just going to connect one Mac to one printer.  A plain "null modem" RS232
> cable will do just fine.  (Your Apple dealer will sell you one if you ask
> for an ImageWriter II cable; they're about $10.)

True with ImageWriters and LaserWriters but not true with DeskWriters.
DeskWriter only goes into LocalTalk mode when the isolation transformer
is installed.  This "auto lan detect" feature was added as an intended
ease of use issue and we knowingly eliminated the ability to use
"direct connect LocalTalk" with the DeskWriter.  The fact that serial
and LocalTalk gives comparable performance was one reason we saw no
real need to support direct connect LocalTalk.  That is, if you have
a serial cable, just use serial mode, if you have LocalTalk connectors,
then and only then you can use LocalTalk mode.  In fact, the DeskWriter
will automatically sense the cable and go into the proper mode.
O.K., and I confess, the hardware to do the automatic lan detect
was cheaper than adding a DIP switch :-).  We also didn't have any
cutout to mount a DIP switch and didn't have any general front pannel
to allow manual selecting of the IO.  Hence the automatic lan detect
seemed like a good feature -- despite the inability to do direct connect
LocalTalk.

As for CPU speed being an issue, the CPU speed is not an issue with
the IO, it is an issue with the DeskWriter driver.  On slow Macs the
driver cannot keep up with either IO.  That was my point.  If you
have a slow Mac (Classic, Plus, SE), the speed of the DeskWriter will
generally be limitted by the driver, not the IO or printer mechanism.

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM