[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SIMM memory speed for MacII - 120ns?

hardin@dino.cad.mcc.com (John Hardin) (01/29/91)

I *thought* a ("plain Jane") MacII's SIMM memory needed to be rated no
slower than 120nS.  However, I called the Chip Merchant yesterday, and
was told by the saleswoman to whom I spoke that "120nS is not fast
enough - you need 80nS SIMMs."  Can someone set this confusion
straight?  (Personally, I think she was merely out of 120nS SIMMs and
wanted to sell me 80nS SIMMs! :-)

Thanks,
-jwh
--
John Hardin, MCC CAD Program | ARPA: hardin@mcc.com | Phone: [512] 338-3535
Box 200195, Austin, TX 78720 | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!hardin

In article <HARDIN.91Jan29092602@dino.cad.mcc.com> hardin@dino.cad.mcc.com (John Hardin) writes:
>I *thought* a ("plain Jane") MacII's SIMM memory needed to be rated no
>slower than 120nS.  However, I called the Chip Merchant yesterday, and
>was told by the saleswoman to whom I spoke that "120nS is not fast
>enough - you need 80nS SIMMs."  Can someone set this confusion
>straight?  (Personally, I think she was merely out of 120nS SIMMs and
>wanted to sell me 80nS SIMMs! :-)

120ns is plenty fast-- I'm still using 120ns SIMMs in one bank of my 5MB mac
II.

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org (Jim Spencer) (01/31/91)

John Hardin writes in a message to All

JH> I *thought* a ("plain Jane") MacII's SIMM memory needed to be
JH> rated no slower than 120nS. However, I called the Chip Merchant
JH> yesterday, and was told by the saleswoman to whom I spoke that
JH> "120nS is not fast enough - you need 80nS SIMMs." Can someone
JH> set this confusion straight? (Personally, I think she was merely
JH> out of 120nS SIMMs and wanted to sell me 80nS SIMMs! :-)

You are right, the Chip Merchant is wrong BUT there really isn't enough cost difference anymore to justify the slower SIMM.  A lot of places aren't even selling 120's anymore.

--
Jim Spencer - via The Minnesota Macintosh Users Group UUCP-Fido Gateway
UUCP: ...uunet!tcnet!kksys!edgar!mmug!22.510!Jim.Spencer