[comp.sys.mac.hardware] How to get more than 4 grays on Apple's Portrait Display monitor

goodill_eric@tandem.com (Eric Goodill) (01/17/91)

Hi,

I own and am generally happy with Apple's Portrait Display monitor (full
page display).  I have a Mac IIci with the Portrait Display video card
(yes, I know I could have used the built in video on the IIci).  The thing
only displays 4 levels of gray.  I want more (buy a different display, I
hear you say).  Well, I want to do this without buying another tube if I
can help it.

The question: can I get my portait display to show any more levels of
gray?  256, of course, is preferable, but I'll take anything more than 4.

It seems to me that the monitor itself can handle more levels of gray
depending on the voltage that one drives it with in the video signal.  I'm
guessing that it's just the video card isn't creating any more than 4
grays.  I can't remember right now if there are any empty sockets for
memory chips on the card.  I'll check when I get home.  I assume they cut
the number of grays down because of the increased number of pixels which
would take a lot of RAM.

Anyway, let me know if you have any ideas.  I'll summarize to the net in a
few days.

Eric Goodill, goodill_eric@tandem.com, Cupertino, California
"Sucks Syntax"  -- John Haskey

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan16.211805.23570@tandem.com> goodill_eric@tandem.com (Eric Goodill) writes:
>Hi,

>The question: can I get my portait display to show any more levels of
>gray?  256, of course, is preferable, but I'll take anything more than 4.

I believe that if you add in more RAM, you'll be able to see/use 256 levels
of gray.

Mark
--
Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering

Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different