[comp.sys.mac.hardware] LC harddisk, Multisync questions

carlp@frigg.isc-br.com (Carl Paukstis) (01/31/91)

I want an LC.  I want the cheapest (initial) outlay possible.
I can get the LC on the educational program (I think), so I'm
considering buying a no-harddrive system and no monitor, then adding
some borrowed stuff to make do until I buy it, as follows:

1: disk drive - I can borrow a Rodime 60M generic SCSI drive from work.
   I've got the formatter software and have used these drives as external
   upgrades for Plusses and SEs, so I know they work on Macs, BUT:
   a: will a generic half-height SCSI drive fit inside the LC case?
	  Or is it the si that's space-limited for the disk drive?
   b: will the LC have enough power to run it? (~10W)

2: I own an older NEC Multisync running EGA duty on my PC.  I've run
   VGA cards in other PCs driving the same-vintage monitor with no
   real problem, so:
   a: Will the older NEC Multisync be happy with the LC builtin video?
   b: Anybody know the cable formula?  FYI, the connector on these
      monitors is a DB-9 looking beast, not the high-density 15-pin
      usually found on VGA monitors.  I can get the adaptor plug from
      9-pin to 15-high-density, but if I'm building the cable, I'd rather
      go directly into the 9-pin.
--
Carl Paukstis                  |"Thus be it ever when freemen must stand
 Spokane, WA  USA              | 'tween their 'loved home and war's desolation"

In article <3011@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM> carlp@frigg.UUCP (Carl Paukstis) writes:
>I want an LC.  I want the cheapest (initial) outlay possible.
>I can get the LC on the educational program (I think), so I'm
>considering buying a no-harddrive system and no monitor, then adding
>some borrowed stuff to make do until I buy it, as follows:
>
>1: disk drive - I can borrow a Rodime 60M generic SCSI drive from work.
>   I've got the formatter software and have used these drives as external
>   upgrades for Plusses and SEs, so I know they work on Macs, BUT:
>   a: will a generic half-height SCSI drive fit inside the LC case?
Nope.

>   b: will the LC have enough power to run it? (~10W)
Nope.

>2: I own an older NEC Multisync running EGA duty on my PC.  I've run
>   VGA cards in other PCs driving the same-vintage monitor with no
>   real problem, so:
>   a: Will the older NEC Multisync be happy with the LC builtin video?

Yes, given the right cable. (and I don't know what that is)