[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Wanted: Surge Protector Info

hansel@engcon.marshall.ltv.com (KLHANSEL) (01/23/91)

I'm currently in the market for a surge protector for my Mac.  I
know that some time ago, PC Magazine conducted a comparison test
of surge protectors.  Does anyone happen to know which issue of
PC Magazine has this test?

Thanks in advance.

-- Kevin Hansel                     engcon!hansel@uunet.UU.NET

blm@aquarium.ecn.purdue.edu (Brian L Moore) (01/23/91)

hansel@engcon.marshall.ltv.com (KLHANSEL) writes:

>I'm currently in the market for a surge protector for my Mac.  I
>know that some time ago, PC Magazine conducted a comparison test
>of surge protectors.  Does anyone happen to know which issue of
>PC Magazine has this test?

I read that surge protection is not necessary with Macs since they have
protection built into their power supplies (the newer ones, anyway)..
Any comments?

-blm
--
 +       +       +      Brian L. Moore, Student Programmer  +     +       +
    +        +    Purdue University Engineering Computer Network +     +     +

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (01/24/91)

Brian Moore asks:

I read that surge protection is not necessary with Macs since they have
protection built into their power supplies (the newer ones, anyway)..
Any comments?

Comments:

Yes, I am fairly sure that they do have surge supression, most computers
do, but...

They may not have EMI/RFI filtering.

They definitely do not have modem supression.

If I get a major hit, and burn out a supressor, I would rather fry an $18
surge supressor than a $200 power supply, assuming that only the first thing
the surge hits will fry.

And (shades of my apple ][ days). All switches wear out -- It is easier to
replace the switch on a surge supressor than the one on the mac power
supply.

It is easier to have everything on one switch.

I need the extra outlets anyway.

Even if it doesn't do ANYTHING, it only cost about $20 -- I think my
SE/30 deserves at least that much TLC  :-)  .

Oh.  If anyone cares, I use QVS surge supressors -- They can be had mail
order for under $20 from MEI/Micro Center, are well built, work (aka, I was
struck by lightining that fried a power supply not hooked up to the supressor,
but the running mac lived), nad have metal cases.  I like the lattter because
the act of reaching over to turn the computer on grounds you and dissipates
any static charge you may have built up.

There's my two cents worth.

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (01/30/91)

Re: Surge protectors...
I too have a surge protecter that was about $20... But I have seen ads for
oned with all sorts of extras for as much as $80... What's the difference?
Should I care?
-Brent schorsch (schorsch@oxy.edu)

johnim@euler.Berkeley.EDU (John Im) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb1.031807.27561@rice.edu> robbins@swordfish.rice.edu (Thomas Robbins) writes:

>and telephone connectors.  Not only does it suppress surges, but cuts out power
>cleanly should the power drop--good for hard disks, apparently.  It has
>a plastic case.  Finally, it sells for $99.  Is this a rip-off?

If you really have power problems of that magnitude, you should invest in
a power back-up system instead.  The main reason is that cutting off the power
on a Mac tends to do nasty things with your Finder/System files, and maybe
even open applications.  Also, cutting the power while you drive is writing
can end up trashing the entire drive.

When looking for a surge protector, take a look at the energy rating (in Joules)
that can be absorbed.  Also, the response time should be as fast as possible
( best ones are under 1 nanosecond).  Metal cases are also better than plastic
ones.

- John