[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Fine Lines On Color Monitors

costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin) (01/23/91)

I have a brand new 13" RGB monitor from Apple, and there's a fine line
on it about a third of the way up from the bottom.  My friendly Apple
dealer tells me that this is a ground line, to keep my colors true,
and that all color monitors have this.  However, this line is a pain
if I want to do any kind of visual experiments on my Mac.

Do all monitors have this line (it shows up on a white background best)?
Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

-dan

kr@asacsg.mh.nl (Koos Remigius) (01/24/91)

From article <260@cogsci.ucsd.EDU>, by costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin):
> I have a brand new 13" RGB monitor from Apple, and there's a fine line
> on it about a third of the way up from the bottom.  My friendly Apple
> dealer tells me that this is a ground line, to keep my colors true,
> and that all color monitors have this.  However, this line is a pain
> if I want to do any kind of visual experiments on my Mac.
>
> Do all monitors have this line (it shows up on a white background best)?
> Does anyone know how to get rid of it?
>
> -dan

Dan,
	Your Apple dealer told you the truth, it is a fine wire
	that keeps the mask in place. There is no way to get rid
	of it.
Koos,
--
Koos Remigius			      kr@mh.nl via internet backbones
Asac Nederland B.V	              uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!kr

Randy.Shaw@p1.f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Shaw) (01/28/91)

> From: costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin)
> Date: 22 Jan 91 22:26:44 GMT
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware
>
> I have a brand new 13" RGB monitor from Apple, and there's a fine line
> on it about a third of the way up from the bottom.  My friendly Apple
> dealer tells me that this is a ground line, to keep my colors true,
> and that all color monitors have this.

All of the Trinitron monitors for the Mac have this line. There is no way to
"get rid of it", except to switch to another monitor. However, you may be
disapointed in the quality of the picture of non-Trinitron monitors.

--
Randy Shaw - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555.1!Randy.Shaw

chas@netcom.UUCP (Chuck Fisher) (02/03/91)

In article <11913.27A61E03@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG> Randy.Shaw@p1.f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Shaw) writes:

>All of the Trinitron monitors for the Mac have this line. There is no way to
>"get rid of it", except to switch to another monitor. However, you may be
>disapointed in the quality of the picture of non-Trinitron monitors.

It's not *just* Trinitron monitors for the Mac that have the line(s),
*all* Trinitron monitors have them.  Over a certain size, 19" I
believe, they have *two* wires.  Next time you go to a video store take
a look at the Sony TVs and look for the wires.

The wire(s) hold a shadow mask next to the phosphors that have been
sprayed on the glass of the CRT.

Chuck

--
Chuck Fisher                                  Work: (800) 359-7997
chas@netcom.uucp                              Home: (415) 964-2819