[comp.sys.mac.hardware] ** modem and fax help wanted **

lccha@crayon.janet.ucla.edu (Lloyd C. Cha) (02/03/91)

Howdy folks -

I've been shopping around for a modem for my Mac Classic, and I've found
more choices than I can understand.  A couple questions:

1) Is there any reason to buy a modem specificially made for the mac, or
is it a relative simple matter to connect any external modem to a mac via
a serial connection.  I would assume all that's needed is a straight
connection from a DIN-8 plug (MAC) to the RS-232 serial connection.

2) I've seen several advertisements for modems with Sendfax that are only
a few dollars more expensive than standard modems (such as the ZOOM 2400
with sendfax - about $110).  Does anyone have any experience with these?
Again, what would I need to make something like this compatible with my
MAC.  Would I need software specific to the the particular sendfax that
I purchase?

Thanks in advance for any info.

L. C. Cha                   * DISCLAIMER:  The views expressed above do not
lccha@icsl.ucla.edu, lccha@ee.ucla.edu  *  necessarily represent the opinions
lccha@janet.ucla.edu, cha@seas.ucla.edu *  of anyone anywhere.

carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Fisher Library support) (02/03/91)

To: lccha@crayon.janet.ucla.edu (Had to post, couldn't mail, sorry)

In article <1749@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> you write:

>Howdy folks -
>
>I've been shopping around for a modem for my Mac Classic, and I've found
>more choices than I can understand.  A couple questions:
>
>1) Is there any reason to buy a modem specificially made for the mac, or
>is it a relative simple matter to connect any external modem to a mac via
>a serial connection.  I would assume all that's needed is a straight
>connection from a DIN-8 plug (MAC) to the RS-232 serial connection.

	Apart from Mac specific software bundled, I don't believe there is
such a thing as a Mac modem. I bought a generic 2400baud Hayes compatible
with all the other CCITT, ATT Bell whatever, bought a Mac to modem cable,
like the one you discribed, turned on ZTerm, and here I am, using it to
reply this letter. It took some hoping when I first bought it though.

>2) I've seen several advertisements for modems with Sendfax that are only
>a few dollars more expensive than standard modems (such as the ZOOM 2400
>with sendfax - about $110).  Does anyone have any experience with these?
>Again, what would I need to make something like this compatible with my
>MAC.  Would I need software specific to the the particular sendfax that
>I purchase?

	This one I don't know much but would appreciate any info you may
obtain, in particular the send & *receive* modems at 9600baud, group III
compatible. I think I saw one listed for around US$150! I would certainly
love one that turns my Mac into a fax at that price! I'd appreciate any info
regarding this like software to drive the fax etc.

Norton     net address: carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au