[comp.sys.mac.hardware] CD ROM Drives

jacobson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (R J Jacobson) (11/28/90)

I am wanting over the next few months to buy a CD ROM drive for my BBS
as well as ocassional use for other tasks. I have reread the Article
on CD ROM drives from the March 1990 Macuser, and have been looking at
recent ads in recent magazines.

I have always had an interest in the NEC CDR-35, but unfortunately my BBS
runs on an external Hard drive and the NEC drive does not have a pass
through but cannot be the last on the SCSI chain. I have heard though that
this is soon to be remedied so that the NEC CDR-35 will be useable with
with other devices on the SCSI chain. Is this true or not? Anyone heard
or have hard facts on this. And even if this is true are there other
potential problems that I should be aware of. I want to use the CD-ROM to
basically mount a CD ROM disk with tons of PD software for my users (like
the Right STuffed or BMUG or NYMUG disks) Has anyone used this drive on
the net?  If so any comments, words of warning etc would be most
appreciated.

I am also looking at more expensive drives that were recommended in the
MacUser Article. In particular the CD Technology Porta-Drive with the
Toshiba 3201-B mechanism looks like a top one to consider. I have seen
prices around $650 for it, and one ad from educorp at $599. Anyone seen
lower prices?  Has anyone used this drive? Can you ad any more pro's or
cons beyond those in the MacUser Article. If I cannot get the NEC drive
in a version that will work with my external hard drive I am seriously
considering this one.

With the CD Technology drive I am also interested in learning more about the
drive. Does it need to reside in a particular part of the chain. I have a
SuperMac Dataframe XP60 if that helps anyone answer this question. I don't
want to get a drive that will not work in this configuration since it is
primarily for my BBS.

I am also open to other suggestions for CD ROM drives. My bottom line is to
not spend lots of money, hopefully under $600, and under $500 would be nice
(like the NEC drive is)

Please respond by Email. Thanks
BITNET  jacobson@uiucux1
ARPANET jacobson%uiucux1@a.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET   jacobson%uiucux1@uiuc.csnet
USENET  [ihnp4,pur-ee,convex]uiucdcs!uiucuxc!uiucux1!jacobson

Russ Jacobson
Illinois Geological Survey
Champaign, IL 61820
217-244-2425

rick@claris.com (Rick Boarman) (01/16/91)

I'm in the market for a good CD ROM drive.  Can anyone suggest some good
ones or some to avoid?  What about good sources for the ROMs themselves?

Thanks,
Rick

--
* Rick Boarman   *   UUCP:      {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!rick
* Claris Corp.   *   Internet:  rick@claris.com

Cole Bader (01/17/91)

In article <11398@claris.com> rick@claris.com (Rick Boarman) writes:

>I'm in the market for a good CD ROM drive.  Can anyone suggest some good
>ones or some to avoid?  What about good sources for the ROMs themselves?

ditto for me.  Any ideas?

--Cole Bader
crbader@dorms.princeton.edu
---------------------------

mings@cs.uoregon.edu (Ming Yau So) (01/17/91)

In article <5425@idunno.Princeton.EDU> crbader@dorms.princeton.edu writes:
>In article <11398@claris.com> rick@claris.com (Rick Boarman) writes:
>>
>>I'm in the market for a good CD ROM drive.  Can anyone suggest some good
>>ones or some to avoid?  What about good sources for the ROMs themselves?
>>

>ditto for me.  Any ideas?
>
>--Cole Bader
>crbader@dorms.princeton.edu
>---------------------------

I am now using the CD Tech. PortaDrive and I am very satisfy with it.  It
uses the Toshiba XM3201 drive mechanism, which is the currently the fastest
among all the other CD ROM drives.  Besides, it is quiet and small, and CD
Tech. has now added a pair of RCA pre-amp. jacks at the back of it, and
also added a busy light in it (which has been criticized as a weakness in
the old model).  This drive has ranked the highest in both MacWorld and
MacUser reviews.  The only drawback of this drive is the audio control is
inadequate, it has only a 3-step volume control, not a turning knob (this
is unimportant to me, cause I use my diskman for audio CDs).

I got mine from Educorp about a month ago.  The price is $599 (incl. SCSI
cable), this is possibly the cheapest price I could find, and it's even
cheaper than Apple CD ROM drive at educational price ($650 at UO).

Disclaimer: I do not have any connection with CD Tech. and Educorp, I am
            just a satified customer of both companies.

   Ming Yau So                        |         Macross VS Gundam
   Internet: mings@cs.uoregon.edu     | Which one do you think is better ?
   AOL: Ming So                       |------------------------------------

rick@claris.com (Rick Boarman) (01/23/91)

The overwhelming vote goes to the CD Technologies Porta-Drive.  I've gotten
nothing but positive comments from about fifteen happy users. On the other
hand, the NEC drives seem to be pretty poor based on the four negative
messages I got.

I eagerly await my CD Tech. drive.  It should be here tomorrow...

Thanks for all the mails,
Rick

--

haney@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HANEY PATRICIA J) (01/23/91)

In article <11406@claris.com> rick@claris.com (Rick Boarman) writes:
>The overwhelming vote goes to the CD Technologies Porta-Drive.  I've gotten
>nothing but positive comments from about fifteen happy users. On the other
>hand, the NEC drives seem to be pretty poor based on the four negative
>messages I got.
>
>I eagerly await my CD Tech. drive.  It should be here tomorrow...
>
>Thanks for all the mails,
>Rick
>
>--
>* Rick Boarman   *   UUCP:      {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!rick
>* Claris Corp.   *   Internet:  rick@claris.com
>*                *   AppleLink: Boarman
>Opinions are mine alone and do not reflect Claris policy.

If anyone else is interested in this particular drive, I have a brand new one
for sale.

$550 gets you the Porta Drive, SCSI cable, terminator (if you need it),
	      and UPS ground shipping paid. I'll throw in some CD-ROM mags too.