[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Dataframe 20HD problems

rcojs@chudich.co.rmit.oz (James Scott) (01/30/91)

Hi all,

Has anyone had experience using a Dataframe 20 HD in conjunction with a
Newlife 1 CPU upgrade from Newbridge Microsystems?

I get intermittent system bombs (ID=02, 03, 10,or 12) and the system
files on the HD get scrambled after a while. The HD appears to work OK
on a Mac+. Is the SCSI standard on the Dataframe, or is the upgrade
causing problems? Any help/clues/commiserations greatly appreciated.

Thanks (and desperate:-)

James Scott
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
Melbourne, Australia

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan30.053313.5661@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> rcojs@chudich.co.rmit.oz (James Scott) writes:
>Has anyone had experience using a Dataframe 20 HD in conjunction with a
>Newlife 1 CPU upgrade from Newbridge Microsystems?
 I had some problems with a genuine Apple hard drive after installing
a Newlife 1 upgrade, which were cured by installing a set of SCSI
terminator SIPs on the Newlife board. There are spaces provided for
these on the board, adjacent to the SCSI connector. I think the
problem is that some drives are more fussy than others about how the
SCSI bus is terminated. The spec. says it should be terminated at both
ends, but usually, if you only have one SCSI device, you can get away
with one termination. This is what happens in an SE, for example, with
the internal drive, but it helps that the cable to the internal drive
is short, as well. If you want to experiment, I suggest soldering
sockets into the Newlife board first!

Hope this helps.

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.

schwer@unix.SRI.COM (Len Schwer) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb4.041114.8778@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> rcojs@chudich.co.rmit.oz (James Scott) writes:
>I am having immense hassles with a Dataframe 20 HD (SCSI interface) I picked
>up secondhand. I'm getting intermittent system bombs and it trashes its own
>files fairly regularly. I am using Supermac's Initializer v2.6?
>
>Does anyone either have an idea what is wrong, or a later version of the
>formatting software?

You can download the latest version of the DataFrame software from the
SuperMac Bboard at (415)773-4500. Login and follow instructions. I
recently downloaded the new software, but can't remember the version
number. Thier is a problem with Mac OS system 6.0.5 and up and the old
Dataframe software.  --Len