[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Internal SE/30 drive installation

thewho@elaine44.stanford.edu (Derek Fong) (02/06/91)

I would like to replace my current 40 MB drive with a 100 MB one.  I was
about to do so yesterday.  I opened up my SE/30, tried to remove the original
40 MB one, and could not:

The four screws which hold the drive to the supporting bracket were not
accessible via a screwdriver.  I suppose, I could go out and buy an l-shaped
screw driver, but I still will have problems putting the screws back{in
unless I magnetize the tool....

Any better ideas?  Is it easier to remove the chassis and then take the entire
bracket out?

Is this just a poor design since I have one of the first SE/30's which were
produced?  (Jan. 1989)

Any comments, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.  Please email responses.

---Derek Fong
fong@cive.stanford.edu
thewho@portia.stanford.edu

carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Fisher Library support) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.015721.20286@portia.Stanford.EDU> thewho@elaine44.stanford.edu (Derek Fong) writes:
>I would like to replace my current 40 MB drive with a 100 MB one.  I was
>about to do so yesterday.  I opened up my SE/30, tried to remove the original
>40 MB one, and could not:
>
>The four screws which hold the drive to the supporting bracket were not
>accessible via a screwdriver.  I suppose, I could go out and buy an l-shaped
>screw driver, but I still will have problems putting the screws back{in
>unless I magnetize the tool....
>
>Any better ideas?  Is it easier to remove the chassis and then take the entire
>bracket out?
>
>Is this just a poor design since I have one of the first SE/30's which were
>produced?  (Jan. 1989)
>
>Any comments, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.  Please email responses.
>
>---Derek Fong
>fong@cive.stanford.edu
>thewho@portia.stanford.edu

Sorry, couldn't e-mail you for some reason...

If you look carefully at the rear of the drive, taking the front as where you
normally insert floppies, you should find two screws that screw into the
floppy disk drive's bracket. Once you remove these two screws, you could lift
the entire HD bracket with HD still screwed to it but pulling it up towards
you from the back of the Mac. The HD bracket has two small extentions that sort
of plugs into the Mac at the front. Shouldn't be too hard, you seem capable
enough. If have further queries, you're most welcome to mail me. I just hope
for your sake the new HD has the four mounting screws the same place as your
old one. Mine didn't, and I had to get another bracket.

Norton