[comp.sys.mac.hardware] What kind of modem should I get?

bohus@math.rutgers.edu (Geza Bohus) (02/06/91)

I am planning on buying a modem (probably 2400 baud) for my SE/30 in
order to log in from home, read mail and news and transfer files.
There are a number of features which I am not sure about (some of them
I understand but am not sure I need, of some I don't even know what
they are: data-compression, error-correction, MNP-protocol, etc).
Prices range from ~$100 to oo (infinity). I'd like to get some
suggestions as to what to get for around $200 maybe. Please send
email.

advaTHANKSnce.

gb

bohus@math.rutgers.edu

hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) (02/06/91)

In <Feb.5.16.49.39.1991.20525@math.rutgers.edu> bohus@math.rutgers.edu (Geza Bohus) writes:

>I am planning on buying a modem (probably 2400 baud) for my SE/30 in
>order to log in from home, read mail and news and transfer files.

I recommend buying the fastest modem you can afford for a reasonable sum.

If you can find a 9600, buy it.  At least you won't have a "slow"
modem again in a couple of years, when most things have moved to
9600.

IMHO, buying a 2400 modem makes only marginally more sense than
buying a 300.

Moral: You can never have too much speed.

Michael G. Hart   hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil /  mhart@oasys.dt.navy.mil
                     In Support of the Men of Desert Storm

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (02/08/91)

I have to disagree with this one.  2400 is a fine speed for terminal
emulation.  1200 is annoyingly slow and 300 would have to be
just about useless.

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu