[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Ethernet for Mac IIsi

kvc@thor.claremont.edu (Kevin V. Carosso) (02/07/91)

Has anyone out there got any experience with adding an ethernet interface to
a Mac IIsi?  I've got a IIsi 5/80 with Nubus/FPU adapter.  Asante tells me
that putting their standard Nubus board in is not recommended.  They didn't
seem sure it would fit (how could Apple make a machine with Nubus support
in which cards don't fit?  Isn't there a standard form factor here?!).  Also
said there might be performance problems given that the Nubus cards are meant
for 16 Mhz machines and the IIsi is 20 Mhz.  I don't understand that either,
as there are plenty of Nubus Macs that aren't 16 Mhz.

Asante recommends throwing out my Nubus adapter and using their new product
which fits into an si with no adapter or with the 030 Direct Slot adapter.
Needless to say, I'm not too excited about throwing out the Nubus adapter
I paid $150 for.  I bought it because I needed the FPU right from the start
and made the (probably wrong) decision that Nubus would be more useful that
030 Direct.

Asante also recommends using an adapter card from PSI if I need the FPU.
Well, that's fine too, and the new PSI card sounds neat (socketed FPU,
optional 64 Kb cache) but I already own an FPU.  They tell me the Apple
FPU is soldered in, so reusing it with the PSI adapter sounds tough.

Anyway, enough of that.  What are you people doing to get ethernet directly
onto IIsi machines?  Any real experience with a Nubus card?  I'm aware of
power problems with overspec'ed Nubus cards, particularly some 24-bit color
cards.  An ethernet interface ought to be well within 13.3 watts, however.

Along similar lines, has anyone any experience with Apple's new Ethernet NB
adapter?  Does Apple support it for a IIsi with Nubus adapter?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

	/Kevin Carosso                        kvc@ymir.claremont.edu
	 Innosoft

carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Fisher Library support) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.174838@thor.claremont.edu> kvc@thor.claremont.edu (Kevin V. Carosso) writes:
>Has anyone out there got any experience with adding an ethernet interface to
>a Mac IIsi?  I've got a IIsi 5/80 with Nubus/FPU adapter.  Asante tells me
>that putting their standard Nubus board in is not recommended.  They didn't
>seem sure it would fit (how could Apple make a machine with Nubus support
>in which cards don't fit?  Isn't there a standard form factor here?!).  Also
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you mean Asante did not adhere to the size limits? :)

>said there might be performance problems given that the Nubus cards are meant
>for 16 Mhz machines and the IIsi is 20 Mhz.  I don't understand that either,
>as there are plenty of Nubus Macs that aren't 16 Mhz.
>
>Asante recommends throwing out my Nubus adapter and using their new product
>which fits into an si with no adapter or with the 030 Direct Slot adapter.
>Needless to say, I'm not too excited about throwing out the Nubus adapter
>I paid $150 for.  I bought it because I needed the FPU right from the start
>and made the (probably wrong) decision that Nubus would be more useful that
>030 Direct.
>
>Asante also recommends using an adapter card from PSI if I need the FPU.
>Well, that's fine too, and the new PSI card sounds neat (socketed FPU,
>optional 64 Kb cache) but I already own an FPU.  They tell me the Apple
>FPU is soldered in, so reusing it with the PSI adapter sounds tough.
>
>Anyway, enough of that.  What are you people doing to get ethernet directly
>onto IIsi machines?  Any real experience with a Nubus card?  I'm aware of
>power problems with overspec'ed Nubus cards, particularly some 24-bit color
>cards.  An ethernet interface ought to be well within 13.3 watts, however.
>
>Along similar lines, has anyone any experience with Apple's new Ethernet NB
>adapter?  Does Apple support it for a IIsi with Nubus adapter?
>
>Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
>	/Kevin Carosso                        kvc@ymir.claremont.edu
>	 Innosoft

I believe Apple has brought out two new "Smart" Ethernet cards, one for the LC
and one NuBus model. Why don't you check it out? They're supposed to be quite
competitive in price.

Norton
****  My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public :(  ****
Norton Chia	||  My address is carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
Micro Support	||	"When are they going to put in built-in spell-chequers"

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (02/08/91)

I have a Dove FastNet III in my IIsi (via the NuBus adapter), and it
works like a charm.  Not only that, MacTCP is giving me approximately
20%-30% greater aggregate throughput than on an stock Mac II.

Tastes great, less filling...

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) (02/08/91)

(Kevin V. Carosso) writes:
> Has anyone out there got any experience with adding an ethernet
interface to
> a Mac IIsi?  I've got a IIsi 5/80 with Nubus/FPU adapter.  Asante tells
me
> that putting their standard Nubus board in is not recommended.  They
didn't
> seem sure it would fit (how could Apple make a machine with Nubus support
> in which cards don't fit?  Isn't there a standard form factor here?!).

We've got a IIsi with Apple's NuBus/FPU adapter and a Kinetics (now Shiva)
EtherPort II NuBus ethernet controller and everything works great.  Using the NuBus adapter (and providing you are using Apple's or a third party 1" thick hard disk) there's enough room inside the IIsi for any single-width full-length NuBus card.  The only real consideration is power consumption.

/Matt

---
Matt Kingman - Macintosh Software Engineer
Pacer Software Inc. - Westboro, MA 01581
Disclaimer:  I speak only for myself.....