[comp.sys.mac.hardware] quick question? of laser printers disk drives and memory

cs163wfn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Tod Kuykendall) (02/06/91)

   If I have a QMS 810 turbo (roughly NTX clone) and I have a 45 meg
removable to do back-ups on can I have it do double duty as both
external disk drive for my printer AND as a back-up removable medium
for my IIfx?  SCSI switch or what??  All thoughts welcome...
			-tk
			 cs163wfn%sdcc10@ucsd.edu
			 tkuykendall@ucsd.edu
PS  How much performance do I get for upping the 2meg in the QMS to
4 (or more) meg AND do the use NYX meg type memory or do I have to
find another type???
  Any and all thoughts welcome.....

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (02/06/91)

In article <16391@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs163wfn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Tod
Kuykendall) writes:
>    If I have a QMS 810 turbo (roughly NTX clone) and I have a 45 meg
> removable to do back-ups on can I have it do double duty as both
> external disk drive for my printer AND as a back-up removable medium
> for my IIfx?  SCSI switch or what??  All thoughts welcome...

It is my understanding that a disk drive for the printer is formatted
differently than the disk drive for the Mac. So, even if you had a SCSI
switch, you couldn't share the drive.

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000

cs163wfn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Tod Kuykendall) (02/07/91)

In article <10194@ncar.ucar.edu>, hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) writes:
> In article <16391@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs163wfn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Tod
> Kuykendall) writes:
> >    If I have a QMS 810 turbo (roughly NTX clone) and I have a 45 meg
> > removable to do back-ups on can I have it do double duty as both
> > external disk drive for my printer AND as a back-up removable medium
> > for my IIfx?  SCSI switch or what??  All thoughts welcome...
>
> It is my understanding that a disk drive for the printer is formatted
> differently than the disk drive for the Mac. So, even if you had a SCSI
> switch, you couldn't share the drive.
> Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu

   Do you mean the disks are formatted differently?  Then if its a
removable can't the disks be switched and a SCSI switch would allow
double duty?  (My experience w/ removables is limited READ:
non-existant...)  Just wondering... I'm trying to set up a system
for someone I know and I was just tryuing to get the most out of
their system and their new back-up removable.  It's my understanding
that a disk connectted to the laser printer simply acts as more
resident fonts for postcript?  More or less to it than that??
Thanks in advance....
			-tk

===

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (02/07/91)

< < Kuykendall) writes:
< < <    If I have a QMS 810 turbo (roughly NTX clone) and I have a 45 meg
< < < removable to do back-ups on can I have it do double duty as both
< < < external disk drive for my printer AND as a back-up removable medium
< < < for my IIfx?  SCSI switch or what??  All thoughts welcome...
< <
<
<    Do you mean the disks are formatted differently?  Then if its a
< removable can't the disks be switched and a SCSI switch would allow
< double duty?  (My experience w/ removables is limited READ:
< non-existant...)  Just wondering... I'm trying to set up a system
< for someone I know and I was just tryuing to get the most out of
< their system and their new back-up removable.

Yes, the disk surface is formatted differently. In, addition this is done
by an Apple utility, not the formatting software you get with third party
drives. Apple's utility works with Apple's drives and some others. I would
be surprised if it worked with a Syquest drive.

< It's my understanding
< that a disk connectted to the laser printer simply acts as more
< resident fonts for postcript?  More or less to it than that??

The disk is also used for caching the 300dpi font bitmaps that the
LaserWriter generates from the PostScript outline font.

dak@sq.sq.com (David A Keldsen) (02/08/91)

>In article <16391@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs163wfn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Tod
>Kuykendall) writes:
>>    If I have a QMS 810 turbo (roughly NTX clone) and I have a 45 meg
>> removable to do back-ups on can I have it do double duty as both
>> external disk drive for my printer AND as a back-up removable medium
>> for my IIfx?  SCSI switch or what??  All thoughts welcome...

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) writes:
>It is my understanding that a disk drive for the printer is formatted
>differently than the disk drive for the Mac. So, even if you had a SCSI
>switch, you couldn't share the drive.

Ah, the drive isn't formatted, the *media* is.  In a removable media
drive, the above isn't a valid objection.

Regards,
Dak
--
David A. 'Dak' Keldsen of SoftQuad, Inc. email: dak@sq.com  phone: 416-963-8337
"The imputation was totally without basis in fact, was in no way fair