Here's the replies I received:
From: "Brian Aslakson" <aslakson@cs.umn.edu>

See my post in comp.sys.mac.hardware.  The Tecmar QT-80 sounds nigh well
perfect.  Except it is about a grand more than you want to spend.  Try to
get someone to go in with you, if that is possible.  The drive is portable.

Call Tecmar, tho.  They have other systems, and the QT-80 I use predates
me in the dept, so maybe I only heard the list price.

Tecmar's been great, I recommend them.

Tecmar (QT-Backup)
6225 Cochran Road
Solon, Ohio 44139
(216) 349-3130
BBS Download:  349-0853
1-800-624-8560

Feel free to contact me with any questions, and I'd like to get a summary
of what else you hear.
--
Brian Aslakson

(This is his post)

Subject: Tape backup, Exabyte
Date: 28 Jan 91 10:20:04 GMT

Someone asks about Exabytes on Macs.

Tecmar does this.  They also have unix software.  My rep is checking with
their tech people for details for me.  I'm pretty sure other companies
have Mac Exabyte systems.

I use a Tecmar tape backup system that backs up 80 and 120 Meg.  For our
workstations and mainframe we have a couple Exabytes.  I'd like to be
able to use an Exabyte on a Mac, and use their software for backing up
the unix systems.  Their software is nice, it beats the dump script we
use on the unix systems (of course! it's Mac!).

The way I understand it, Exabyte sells a bare drive, and vendors modify
it to suit themselves.  Has anyone just hung an a random Exbyte off a
random SCSI port (especially a Mac's) and had it work?

For what it's worth, Tecmar has been really good about updating their
software, and I like their drive well enough.  It beats floppies!

Brian Aslakson  <-= No connection with Tecmar except as a satisfied customer.

aslakson@cs.umn.edu
mac-admin@cs.umn.edu  <-= Macintosh related

From: tonyrich@cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich)

Hi, John.

I use a Teac 150 and Retrospect to back up a 300MB hard drive, and it's
a great combination.  Retrospect is very easy to use.  You can get
'way more than 150MB on a tape if you use Retrospect's "compress" option,
too, which is nice if and when you upgrade to a larger drive.  I don't know
anything about the specific Teac unit that APS sells...I put my Teac
together from a raw Teac drive & power supply/enclosure a year ago.  But
APS has gotten such good recommendations from people on the net, I think
they'd be worth a try.  I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I found that blank tape cartridges are available locally for about $18 each.

When I assembled my Teac drive last year, the pre-assembled commercial units
were selling for about $700 then, and I saved about $150 by putting the Teac
together myself.  But now that you can get an assembled Teac 150 drive AND
Retrospect together for under $650 from APS, that's probably the way to go.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

  -- Tony

From: Jacobsen@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU

I have had a 150Mb TEAC from APS for about a month. It's great! It comes
with Retrospect, which is fantastic (and recommended, regardless of whose
drive you buy).

One suggestion: don't bother buying extra tapes from APS, who wants $24
for them. Fry's carries them for $21 (last weekend). Also, if you are
planning to do serious backup/archiving (more than 1 copy, more than 1
mac, etc) you'll probably want 3 or 4 tapes.

Let me know if there are any more questions.

Internet: Jacobsen@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu
Bitnet:   Jacobsen at SLACVM
POTS:     415-926-3133

From: JACOBSEN%SLACVM.bitnet@lilac.berkeley.edu

No problem!

1) I don't know if it has a mirror-image mode - I can't find such a thing in
the Retrospect manual.  Normally it does a true 'incremental' backup, where
any files with different file info (dates, lengths, control bits, etc) are
copied out to the tape. A 'snap-shot' is also taken at this time (see below).
This mode can be made automatic (at selected days/times, etc) or done manually.
You can also user a 'browser' to select more or fewer files to write out - this
is most useful in 'Archive' mode, as opposed to 'backup' mode, where you
request that just certain files get written. I use this to move data files
from one mac to another, where the source is not really in need of a complete
backup (or if it is, it's not my problem).

In any case, the 'backup' system is remarkably complete and easy.

2,4) Speed: I have a IIci.  Backing up 7 meg (a typical week for me) takes the
time to fast forward the tape to the end (about 20 meg a minute, it seems),
plus the time to write, which with compression is about 2 meg a minute.
It's a streamer drive, which means that if the Mac cannot keep up the tape
overshoots and has to back up a couple inches, then try again.  With
compression it just took 11 minutes to back up 6 meg to a half full tape.
I usually use the compression, worth about a 1/3 reduction in tape used,
but if  don't the tape writting rate is about twice as fast. Most of the
time is fast motion of the tape, though, so the time saved by
not using compression is only a minute or two.

All this is just to say that I don't bother with running in the background
under MF.  I just start it when I want a backup and go get a cup of coffee.
It can run while you're doing other stuff, and the other stuff
is not really slowed down, but the streamer mechanism slows down a lot
due to the continual need to reposition. This is a problem with the TEAC
mechanism, not any particular drive.

Also, the default is to NOT backup open files (this can be overridden, but
that's obviously risky), so the stuff you're working on has to wait for next
time anyway.

3) If you do a complete restore of the drive, Retrospect looks at the
most recent 'snap-shot' to get a list of files, icon, positions, etc and
puts it all back exactly the way it was.  Note that these files may be saved
from several 'sessions' due to the incremental backup, and may even be on
different tapes (one or more tapes may be in a single 'Archive'), but it
gets it all right.  I've not yet needed to do this, but when I tried
it (it's always good to check your backup scheme befor you need it) it worked
great.

You can also request any file be restored (you select one or more using another
 'browser'), from any particular session on the tape. When doing this
there are various options about where to restore it - where it was, in an
new folder, prompt for a location, etc.  I've not asked for 'restore original
position', and don't know if the icon location comes back in this case.

5) There's a small fan in the APS drive, that's about as noisy as the IIci
fan. I usually keep the drive off and turn it on just when in use. I've
not had any problem with turning it on/off while the Mac is up.

When running, it sounds like a tape player in fast forward - whirr, whirr,
click, whirr.  Noticable, but not annoying.

When looking at these drives, seperate the software from the drive.
Retrospect can't be beat in my opinion - everything I've even thought
of is in it, and it works.  I've called Dantz Software twice with dumb
questions. They were very helpful, and when the guy on the line
wasn't sure about how it would work in a certain case they tried it
and called me back in an hour.  I really cant say enough about
it (Incidentally, they're at 1400 Shattuck Ave in Berkeley - if that's not
far, maybe they have some literature for you).

The APS drive is no better or worse than any other as far as I can tell, and it
was the cheapest I found.  After all, the mechanical stuff is always made
by TEAC - its just the case and supply that the final vendor provides.

Best of luck - if I can tell you anything else, just ask. (And if
you hear anything I might want to know, please forward)

From: austin@spies.sf-bay.org (Glenn Austin)

I built my own from the TEAC mechanism and an IBM half-height drive case with
power supply and I JUST LOVE THE DRIVE!

I built mine for just over $500, of which most of that was for the drive and
two tapes.  If you want to do something like that, drop me a note and I can
forward some instructions to you.

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
|   Macintosh Wizard            |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| INET: austin@spies.sf-bay.org | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| All opinions stated above are mine -- who else would want them?           |

From: Dave Guevara

	John --

	I got a Teac tape drive from Relax Technologies.  I think their
	current price in MacWeek/MacUser is floating around $500-600.  So
	far no problems with the drive.  Price and location of the vendor
	were constraining factors I used in my purchase.  Relax Tech is
	about 30minutes away from me.  I got several recommendations from
	other users for the drives sold by APS.  I think they're selling
	their Teac 150 for $629 bundled with Retrospect.  Good luck in your
	search.  Tape backup is much better than juggling floppies/cartridges.

		Dave Guevara,
		Internet:  David_Anthony_Guevara@cup.portal.com

From: rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier)

 John -
  About 6 months ago I bought the EMAC (Everex) Impact Tape drive
 which uses the Teac mechanism (160 meg tapes - they look like VERY
 rugged audio cassettes).  This was MacWorld's highest rated unit.
 It comes with Retrospect.  They will give you educational pricing,
 which makes the unit very attractive.  I ended up paying about $700
 with delivery from stock.  The only thing is they are a little
 hard to deal with - I had to send them a certified check - they
 won't take credit cards.  The unit has performed flawlessly.
 The only problem is that the media has been a little hard to find
 (I can make some suggestions), but it's getting easier.  Pay no
 more than about $14 for a 160 meg tape...

 Look in MacUser or MacWorld for Everex's phone - or I can dig
 it out for you...

 - Bob Wier

 -------------- insert favorite standard disclaimers here ----------
                      College of Engineering
         Northern Arizona University / Flagstaff, Arizona
  Internet: rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu | BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX | WB5KXH
                or   uucp:  ...arizona!naucse!rrw

From: cramer%clem@Sun.COM (Sam Cramer)

A bunch of people (myself included) homebrewed tape systems using the Teac
mechanism.  Works great.  APS are supposed to be good people.

Sam