[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac II Educational Upgrade prices?!?

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (02/06/91)

Hi, I just talked to our campus store for their prices on Mac II ->
IIx/IIfx upgrades, and got the following prices:

II->IIx: $3217
II->IIfx: $4223

This seems higher than CPU prices new!  Can anyone tell me what they
charge at other, less toffee-nosed universities?  I think the folks at
the campus store are f***ed in the head.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) (02/06/91)

In article <16653@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

>Hi, I just talked to our campus store for their prices on Mac II ->
>IIx/IIfx upgrades, and got the following prices:
>
>II->IIx: $3217
>II->IIfx: $4223

It sounds like they forgot to mention the rebate you get for turning in
your old motherboard. The prices here are something like:
	II->IIx		$3100-$1500 rebate=$1600
	II->IIfx	$4100-$1800 rebate=$2300

>This seems higher than CPU prices new!  Can anyone tell me what they
>charge at other, less toffee-nosed universities?  I think the folks at
>the campus store are f***ed in the head.

I'd go along with that prognosis :-)

>Jeff
	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu				chinet!uokmax!rob

In article <16653@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

>Hi, I just talked to our campus store for their prices on Mac II ->
>IIx/IIfx upgrades, and got the following prices:
>
>II->IIx: $3217
>II->IIfx: $4223

List price for the IIfx upgrade is $2999, according to the list I have.  You
might want to try elsewhere!!!

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/06/91)

In article <16653@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

|Hi, I just talked to our campus store for their prices on Mac II ->
|IIx/IIfx upgrades, and got the following prices:
|
|II->IIx: $3217
|II->IIfx: $4223
|
|This seems higher than CPU prices new!  Can anyone tell me what they
|charge at other, less toffee-nosed universities?

Well, I don't know that the U of MN is any less toffee-nosed than USC, but
here's what I would pay for the upgrades.

II to IIx  [Logic Board only]				$1600
II to IIx  [Logic Board and FDHD Drive]			$1950

II to IIfx [Logic Board only]				$2220
           with 4 Mb RAM add				$ 720
	   with 4 Mb parity-checked RAM add		$ 750
	   with FDHD add				$ 380

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

rwyckoff@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (richard wyckoff) (02/07/91)

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

> Hi, I just talked to our campus store for their prices on Mac II ->
> IIx/IIfx upgrades, and got the following prices:

Similar story here.
I guess they still put a heavy premium on all those slots.

Here's an idea:

1,715  New LC (mail-order price fm March 91 MacUser)
1,495  50 Mhz 68030 accellerator (uses direct slot of LC)
       (March 91 MacUser Venture Technologies advertised price)
______
3,210  (plus adapter: $174 educ disc. price)

AND KEEP YOUR 6-slotted MacII !

BTW, Venture Technologies also has a $1495 50 Mhz 030 for the IIci CACHE SLOT,
and also advertises a <*get this*> 50 Mhz 68040 card!  Yes, I said 68040, and
no, I hadn't even heard of Venture Technologies B4 reading the ad.

Rich
(rwyckoff@copper.ucs.indiana.edu)

rfischer@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Ray Fischer) (02/07/91)

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes ...
>Hi, I just talked to our campus store for their prices on Mac II ->
>IIx/IIfx upgrades, and got the following prices:
>
>II->IIx: $3217
>II->IIfx: $4223
>
>This seems higher than CPU prices new!  Can anyone tell me what they
>charge at other, less toffee-nosed universities?

Here at Stanford (which generally seems to have the lowest educational
prices I've seen) the prices are ...

II -> IIx	$1599
II -> IIfx	$2197

4MB IIfx RAM	$694  (Apple's)
FDHD 		$268

These prices include installation.  I'd double check your prices,
they seem way too high.

Ray Fischer
rfischer@cs.stanford.edu

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org (Jim Spencer) (02/10/91)

Jeff Sullivan writes in a message to All

JS> Hi, I just talked to our campus store for their prices on Mac
II ->
JS> IIx/IIfx upgrades, and got the following prices:
II->IIx: $3217
II->IIfx: $4223
JS>  This seems higher than CPU prices new! Can anyone tell me what
JS> they charge at other, less toffee-nosed universities? I think
JS> the folks at the campus store are f***ed in the head.

Something is seriously wrong here.  The list price on a II->IIfx upgrade is only like $3000 and even without educational discounts I got it for $2300 a few months ago.  If you tack on a SuperDrive at the same time, that might add $500 or so dollars more and you will have to buy at least 4 MB's of RAM but buy this on the open market and it won't cost you more than around $250 or so.  Bottom line is you should be looking at a little over $3000 without an educational discount.  (BTW: this is a LOT less than a

 new fx CPU.)

--
Jim Spencer - via The Minnesota Macintosh Users Group UUCP-Fido Gateway
UUCP: ...uunet!tcnet!kksys!edgar!mmug!22.510!Jim.Spencer