[comp.sys.mac.hardware] How are MacAvenue's Protege disks?

costello@stx.UUCP (Michael E. Costello) (02/09/91)

In article <14851@pyrnj.uucp>, doug@pyrnj.uucp (Doug Looms) writes:
> The Protege also looks small enough to
> transport easily which would be a plus

The Protege is *massive*.  I don't have the exact dimensions, but they are
quite large (I would guess 6x6x10).  It's also heavy.

APS has a compact case available if you ask.  It's not as solid as the Protege
case, but it is quite small.

==>Michael Costello, Meeting Director || costello@world.std.com
==>BCS*Mac ||  The Boston Computer Society Macintosh User Group
==>P.O. Box 2591; Woburn, MA  01888                617-631-8188

doug@pyrnj.uucp (Doug Looms) (02/09/91)

Does anyone have any experience with the Protege disks sold by MacAvenue
(aka CompuAdd)?  I'm considering an external 100 MB drive, but wonder about
the drive and the company.

I've read lots of nice things here about APS, but I get the impression that
their fans are noisy.  MacAvenue claims that the Protege drive is quiet and I
can live with the price difference.  The Protege also looks small enough to
transport easily which would be a plus.

Thanks in advance.
doug

Doug Looms           (212) 297-6148
Pyramid Technology Corp, 420 Lexington avenue, Suite 300, NY, NY 10170
email:   {allegra,cmcl2,pyramid,rutgers}!pyrnj!doug

bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) (02/10/91)

In article <0E010009.vfkkyg@stx.UUCP> costello@world.std.com writes:

>In article <14851@pyrnj.uucp>, doug@pyrnj.uucp (Doug Looms) writes:
>> The Protege also looks small enough to
>> transport easily which would be a plus
>
>The Protege is *massive*.  I don't have the exact dimensions, but they are
>quite large (I would guess 6x6x10).  It's also heavy.

I wouldn't call the Protege "*massive*".  I like the design.  Whipping out
my trusty Stanley measuring tape, I see dimensions of 5" x 4.5" x 9.5".

I like the drive; the construction appears solid, the pushbutton SCSI ID
is great (to me; I suppose it's standard these days), and, well, it works.
I got the Quantum 105 drive but unfortunately I'm going to have to return
mine just because I can get one from APS for much less, and use the money
saved for other things.

bill

hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (02/11/91)

In article <0E010009.vfkkyg@stx.UUCP> costello@world.std.com writes:

>In article <14851@pyrnj.uucp>, doug@pyrnj.uucp (Doug Looms) writes:
>> The Protege also looks small enough to
>> transport easily which would be a plus
>
>The Protege is *massive*.  I don't have the exact dimensions, but they are
>quite large (I would guess 6x6x10).  It's also heavy.
>
>APS has a compact case available if you ask.  It's not as solid as the Protege
>case, but it is quite small.

I don't have one in frnt of me, but these numbers are definitely a bit off.
I'd say more like 4w x 5h x 10d.

Basically ver similar in size to a Kleenex Box.  Very solid, ver quiet.

3 months ago when my brother wanted an 80 meg  we went with the protege,
because it included on-location, and, after youfigured in shipping, it
was only about $40 more than APS.  I believe APS has lowered their
prices alot more than MacAvenue since then though (in particular they
have the non-low-profile 105 internal for 399 at the moment), so the
current spread is greater and I lean back towards APS.

Josh

Josh Hodas    		Home Phone:	     (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street	School Office Phone: (215) 898-9514
Philadelphia, PA 19104	New E-Mail Address:  hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu