[comp.sys.mac.hardware] What a II,IIx,IIcx,IIci,IIfx,IIsi,LC??????

tletski@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (02/07/91)

I have been given the task of procuring a Mac for my company.  Having not paid
attention to all offspring of the Mac II for the past 3 years, could someone
please fill me in on the CPU, slot, and memory configs of the following:

		Mac LC -
		Mac II -
		Mac IIx -
		Mac IIfx -
		Mac IIcx -
		Mac IIci -
		Mac IIsi -

Thanks in advance

Paul Tletski - Highland Hts., Ohio

rfischer@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Ray Fischer) (02/09/91)

tletski@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes ...
>I have been given the task of procuring a Mac for my company.  Having not paid
>attention to all offspring of the Mac II for the past 3 years, could someone
>please fill me in on the CPU, slot, and memory configs of the following:
>
>	Mac LC -	16MHz 68020 16bit bus, 1 processor direct slot,
			no FPU (don't know memory config offhand)
>	Mac II - 	16MHz 68020 32bit bus, 6 nuBus slots
			68881 FPU, 1, 2, 5, 8MB
>	Mac IIx -	16MHz 68030 32bit bus, 6 nuBus slots
			68882 FPU, 1, 2, 5, 8, 17, 32MB
>	Mac IIfx -	40MHz 68030 32bit bus, 6 nuBus slots
			68882 FPU, 1, 2, 5, 8, 17, 32MB
>	Mac IIcx - 	16MHz 68030 32bit bus, 3 nuBus slots
			68882 FPU, 1, 2, 5, 8, 17, 32MB
>	Mac IIci -	25MHz 68030 32bit bus, 3 nuBus slots
			68882 FPU, 1, 2, 5, 8, 17, 32MB
>	Mac IIsi -	20MHz 68030 32bit bus, 1 processor direct/nuBus slot
			no FPU*, 1, 5, 9, 17MB
* the IIsi's slot requires a card either to work as a processor direct slot
  or as a nuBus slot (but not both).  The card comes with a 68882 FPU and
  costs around $200.  FPU = Floating Point Unit (co-processor)
  In all cases the FPU runs at the same speed as the CPU.
+ The IIsi, LC, and the IIci include circuitry to provide video signals.
  The other Mac II's require a video display card.

Ray Fischer
rfischer@cs.stanford.edu

emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) (02/10/91)

In article <3150.27b11c5b@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> tletski@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>I have been given the task of procuring a Mac for my company.  Having not paid
>attention to all offspring of the Mac II for the past 3 years, could someone
>please fill me in on the CPU, slot, and memory configs of the following:

            CPU     Slots  Max memory   Comments
Mac LC     68020    1(020)   10 Mb?     No Apple FPU available (3rd party)
Mac II     68020    6(Nubus) 14 Mb*     Upgrade to Mac IIx or Mac IIfx avail.
Mac IIx    68030    6(Nubus) 14 Mb*     Mac II & IIx both 16Mhz
Mac IIfx   68030    6(Nubus) 128Mb(7)   40 Mhz; 32-bit clean ROM
Mac IIcx   68030    3(Nubus) 14 Mb*     Basically a IIx with 3 slots
Mac IIci   68030    3(Nubus) 128Mb(7)   25Mhz; 32-bit clean ROM
Mac IIsi   68030    1(below) 17 Mb(7)   20 Mhz; 32-bit clean ROM

*Maximum amount of memory addressable under System 6, using every trick
known to the Dogcow.  IIcx has ROM SIMM slot, may receive upgraded ROM;
if so, goes to 128Mb max.

(7) Addressable under System 7, outrageous numbers due to 16Mb SIMMS;
but it's possible.  Unknown if IIsi supports 16Mb SIMMS; if it does,
max memory on IIsi is 65Mb.

(020) Mac LC has '020 Direct slot, unique to LC.  Many 3rd party mfg's
are making cards; so is Apple.

Mac IIsi slot can be set up with adapter for either Nubus or '030 Direct
(like SE/30, but cards that cheat on the SE/30 may not work).  There are
also many cards that connect directly to slot.  FPU must be installed via
slot card; no socket on board.

Hope it helps.
--
Mark Hartman, N6BMO           "What are you just standing there for?  Where
Applelink: N1083 or BINARY.TREE      do you think you are, DIS-ney World??"

rwyckoff@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (richard wyckoff) (02/12/91)

True 32-bit addresses can access 4 GIGABYTES of memory.
System 7 will allow VIRTUAL MEMORY... you can address *all 4 GIGABYTES*,
even if some of that "memory" is paged out to disk.
Yes, for most the current practical limit for real memory is 16MB * #SIMM-slots,
or 128MB on an fx or ci.

256kb SIMMS are virtually free,
1MB SIMMS have been under $50,
4MB SIMMS have been down under $200,
16MB SIMMS are still outrageous,
who knows what's next?

Also note that the cx is no longer in production.
I thought the II and IIx were also history, but I could be wrong.

(using a certain trick apparently *unknown* to the Dogcow..)
FYI, even before System 7a, it's possible to get 100MB (or more) on a ci.
This mem was NOT in the normal SIMM slots... but on a NuBus (cache?) card,
and was used by Allegro Common Lisp, which had a software patch known as
fixMMU-IIci.  ACL was a Coral product, now is Apples.
(We had this at work....)

           ...Rich

(rwyckoff@copper.ucs.indiana.edu)

cozza@cshl.org (Steven Cozza at Grace Computer Center) (02/12/91)

I have a simple question.  What is the maximum memory that Macs running
System 6.0.5 can address (the Mac IIci in particular).  We currently have
8 Meg, but this is not enough for the apps we have running.  Those being
Objectworks, Mathematica, MacX and others.  I have been told by one dealer
that the max for a IIci is 8meg, and that to get more and actually be able
to use it I would have to buy some software called Optima.  Is this true?,
and if so how good of a solution is it?  Thanks for you help.

Steven Cozza
Internet:	cozza@cshl.org
US Mail:	Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
		Bungtown Road