[net.followup] How to save the net from overload.

sr@u1100a.UUCP (Steven Radtke) (06/06/84)

> The net is beginning to be swamped with the volume of messages.

Says who? Would you like to site some figures?

> I notice several people are submitting multiple long messages
> to the same group.

So what, as long as they are not identical submissions or improperly
posted!

> Something should be done to cut down the number of submissions.

If YOUR site is overload, your news administrator has options open
to him/her, such as excluding various groups.

> I have a suggestion: I wish each system administrator (SA)
> would set up their machine(s) to truncate all messages > 24 lines,
> one screen full.  If they would do this, we would soon see short,
> to the point, messages from all these people that are afflicted
> with the verbage virus.  If the SA's would also disallow more
> than 1 msg/person/group/day, I think the volume of messages being
> sent over the net would greatly decrease.  Its time some action was
> taken against those with keyboard diarrhea, before some key net site
> pulls out altogether.

Clearly, it is possible to have something important or interesting to
say that exceeds 24 lines ( who says 24 lines is a standard anyway? ).
Or one may exceed the proposed standard by including reference lines
in a followup article ( my article would be less than 24 lines without the
lines from the original article ).
Anyway, the load on machines is a function of the number of articles and the number of characters, not the number of lines, since most people terminate a line with the newline char rather than letting lines wrap indiscriminantly.
Also, it is possible to have comments on two or more different
discussions in one newsgroup on the same day.

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (06/06/84)

uname@pyuxqq.UUCP (Admin):
> The net is beginning to be swamped with the volume of messages.
> I notice several people are submitting multiple long messages
> to the same group.  Something should be done to cut down the
> number of submissions.

I agree in part, because there have been a number of articles I've read
lately which have exceeded 100 lines, but I don't think the following is
the correct way to solve the problem.

> I have a suggestion: I wish each system administrator (SA)
> would set up their machine(s) to truncate all messages > 24 lines,
> one screen full.  If they would do this, we would soon see short,
> to the point, messages from all these people that are afflicted
> with the verbage virus.  If the SA's would also disallow more
> than 1 msg/person/group/day, I think the volume of messages being
> sent over the net would greatly decrease.  Its time some action was
> taken against those with keyboard diarrhea, before some key net site
> pulls out altogether.

1.  It seems to me that such a policy could be construed by net users as
a "silencing" policy (I don't recall the correct term but it involves
freedom of speech).

2.  Some people post articles that exceed 24 lines (like in
net.sources).

3.  Other people post messages of technical content (like in
net.unix-wizards, net.mail, etc.) which exceed 24 lines.

In general, it wouldn't be a good idea to limit message size, because of
the number of messages which have a good reason for being larger than
one screenful.

Perhaps Emily Post for Usenet should be amended to include good net
discipline in limiting the size of responses.

Note: I'm not an SA (yet), but give me time.  I'm sure when I am an SA
I'll have to make similar decisions regarding cost of phone calls, disk
space and the like, so I understand your concerns, but don't think those
are the correct measures to take.
--
                                                  Let fly the bits!

Greg Skinner (White Gold Wielder)
{decvax!genrad, eagle!mit-vax, whuxle, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds

And he who wields white wild magic gold is a paradox ...

king@nsc.UUCP (06/07/84)

> From: uname@pyuxqq.UUCP (Admin)
> Subject: How to save the net from overload
>
> The net is beginning to be swamped with the volume of messages.
> ... multiple long messages ... Something should be done to cut
> down the number of submissions. ... truncate all messages > 24 lines,
> ... would also disallow more than 1 msg/person/group/day ...
>  before some key net site pulls out altogether.

I can already hear the volume of  keystrokes  increasing  as
people  rush  to  their  keyboards  to  cry "censorship" and
"...violation of my rights to post anything I want". However
I  think the last line says it all.  If a key site pulls out
your "rights" are not going to get you back on the net.  The
one  thing  that puzzles me is the fact that according to my
old map, site pyuxqq is not a backbone site. If my  informa-
tion  is  out of date don't flame, send a new map. The other
thing that is significant is the organization.  Is  there  a
rumor going around that some group may pull out? In any case
it would be of interest to hear what the backbone sites  are
saying. They are the ones with the power.

sid@linus.UUCP (Sid Stuart) (06/12/84)

Well since someone asked what people at "backbone sites" think
about the increasing net node, I thought I might mention that the
system programmers a MITRE are getting increasing pressure from
management to reduce our 1 to 2 thousand dollar a month phone bills.
I used to be all in favor of our being a backbone, until I figured
out the money could be better spent buying a Sun for my desk.

				I'm in it for the toys,
				sid at linus.

keves@sdccsu3.UUCP (06/12/84)

I have a better solution. Why not fix the software instead? If you
limit people you turn the entire reason for this net into trash.
Creativity and a forum for ideas. Can YOU tell all your ideas in
under 24 lines a day? I sure can't, but if I were not such a "good"
netter, I might make some suggestion as to the original submissioner's
lack of good ideas.

				Brian Keves
				UCSD Computer Center

This is by no means a statment by the UCSD Computer Center, but
rather a personal statement only.

--
		"A is A" - Ayn Rand

Name:     Brian Keves			USnail:   UCSD Computer Center
Usenet:	  ...!sdcsvax!sdccsu3!keves		  C-010
          ...!sdcsvax!sdcattb!za62		  La Jolla, Ca.  92093
Gripe:	  "Some people just can't have fun in this world because
 	   they are too busy bitching about people who do."

rbg@cbosgd.UUCP (Richard Goldschmidt) (06/12/84)

One way to reduce net load would be to eliminate duplicate postings.  A
significant fraction of postings seem to get duplicated.  I don't know
why, or how to fix it, but it would nice for users as well as maintainers.

cbosgd!rbg

phil@amd70.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (06/13/84)

I would like to add that the figures seen by Linus (from $1k to $2K
a month on phone bills) are in line with what we have been seeing.
(we feed 7 sites)

What are the other administrators seeing? Let's have a contest for
biggest phone bill of the month!

Some may say that I am causing trouble by bringing this up. These
people are probably not the ones paying the bills.

--
Phil Ngai (408) 982-6825 {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd70!phil