[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Least Expensive Color Option/SE30

clg@guardian.cs.psu.edu (Craig Gruneberg) (02/01/91)

In search of a good deal:

Can someone give me their tips on the cheapest way to add
reasonably decent color to a SE/30? I haven't researched this
for over a year now and I was wondering if there has been a
less expensive alternative offered recently versus the
$1400 alternative back then.

Thanks
Craig

--
Craig Lee Gruneberg    [clg@cs.psu.edu]|  333 Whitmore Laboratory
Penn State University                  |

jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) (02/02/91)

I bought my SE/30 in March of 1990 and had in the back of my mind upgrading
to color.  In Dec. I did just that.  I bought a 14" Magnavox 256
color monitor and 8-bit color video board from Micron as a package for $829.
I won't mention the mail order house that I bought from, because I had a
bad problem with one of their salespeople (and I will probably not buy
from them again).  However, if you look thoroughly through the mailorder
houses that advertise in MacUser magazine, you'll find that there a lot of them
that offer either the Magnavox or NEC Multisync color monitors (with the
required video card & cables) as a package for around $800 to $900.

						Jim Collymore

p.s.  Make sure you shop around and ask how much they charge for their
shipping, especially if you want it 2nd or next day air!

cfj@isc.intel.com (Charlie Johnson) (02/06/91)

In article <168@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) writes:

>I bought my SE/30 in March of 1990 and had in the back of my mind upgrading
>to color.  In Dec. I did just that.  I bought a 14" Magnavox 256 .........
>
>						Jim Collymore

How does the cabling work with that Micron card for the SE/30 ??  Also, what
do you have to do if you move your SE/30 but don't take the color monitor
with you ??  Do you have to reconfigure first or will the system just
notice that there is no monitor attached ??

Just curious since I'm thinking about the Micron card for my SE/30 in the
future.  What about the Micron card that support 19 inch color monitors ??
Which monitors are compatible with it ??

--
Charles Johnson
Intel Corporation, Supercomputer Systems Division

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (02/07/91)

In article <1125@intelisc.isc.intel.com> cfj@isc.intel.com (Charlie Johnson) writes:
>How does the cabling work with that Micron card for the SE/30 ??

	How does the cabling work?  There's a backplane for the Micron
card that has your standard Apple video plug on it, as well as a
toggle switch (more on the toggle in a second...).  Same cabling as
you'd use for any other Apple monitor/video card combo.

> Also, what do you have to do if you move your SE/30 but don't take
> the color monitor with you ??  Do you have to reconfigure first or
> will the system just notice that there is no monitor attached ??

	Here's where the toggle comes in.  Normally, you leave the
toggle on for when your external color monitor is hooked up.  But, if
you have to take off with just the SE/30, just shut things down,
unplug the video cable, and flick the switch.  When you start back up,
everything will be configured for the internal display only.  Not as
elegant as automatic detection, but a lot cheaper.

>Just curious since I'm thinking about the Micron card for my SE/30 in the
>future.  What about the Micron card that support 19 inch color monitors ??
>Which monitors are compatible with it ??

	It's a good card - MacWEEK rated it tops in it's evaluation of
8-bit video cards for the SE/30, on basis of price/performance.  (The
RasterOps card performed slightly better, but was almost twice the
price.)  The card only supports 640x480 resolution (again, less
expensive that way) - however, it doesn't disable the SE/30's internal
display, so you've two monitors to play around on.  Pricing I've seen
for the Micron card put it a bit below $350, and I've seen package
monitor/card deals in the trade mags for around $800.

	If I get an SE/30, the Micron card is what I'll probably be
getting for color support.  Ohio State's Computer Store even sells the
Micron card at a slight discount.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way associated with Micron.  Nor are these
the opinions of any portion of the Ohio State University.  My
opinions.  Mine mine mine!

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) (02/13/91)

In article <1125@intelisc.isc.intel.com>, cfj@isc.intel.com (Charlie Johnson) writes:
> In article <168@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) writes:
> >
> >I bought my SE/30 in March of 1990 and had in the back of my mind upgrading
> >to color.  In Dec. I did just that.  I bought a 14" Magnavox 256 .........
> >
> >						Jim Collymore
> >
> How does the cabling work with that Micron card for the SE/30 ??  Also, what
> do you have to do if you move your SE/30 but don't take the color monitor
> with you ??  Do you have to reconfigure first or will the system just
> notice that there is no monitor attached ??
>
> Charles Johnson
> Intel Corporation, Supercomputer Systems Division
> 15201 NW Greenbrier Pkwy
> Beaverton, OR  97006           phone: (503)629-7605  email: cfj@isc.intel.com

I'm not sure what you're asking regarding the cabling, but here go some
answers.

First, the cable runs from the monitor to bracket a connector in the back of
your SE30.  This connector is connected to a bracket mounted on the inside of
your SE30.  Next to the connector is a toggle switch which allows you to tell
the Mac (before booting) if you are going to be using the external monitor or
not.  If you want to tote your Mac around, but do not want to bring along your
monitor, turn off your Mac, throw the switch to the side that indicates "no
external monitor," disconnect your external monitor, and GO.

Note:  You may have to reconfigure your monitor via the "Monitors" control
in your control panel when you reconnect (or when you first hook-up your
color monitor for that matter).

IMPORTANT!  If, when you first hook-up your monitor, it doesn't respond
properly do this:

1 - Go into your control panel.
2 - Go to the "Monitors" control.
3 - Click on it.
4 - Arrange your secondary (#2) monitor's position in the window so that
    when you drag windows over your new, enlarged desktop, the direction you
    must go to drag to that window is logical.  THis is done by dragging the
    #2 monitor's icon to where you want it.
5 - Determine which monitor will be your primary (#1) monitor by clicking
    and dragging the menubar on one monitor's icon over to the appropriate
    monitor's icon.
6 - Close your control panel.
7 - If nothing appears to happen, re-boot your Mac.

Things should now work pretty well.

I hope this helps.

						Jim Collymore