[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac IIsi question

bitting-douglas@cs.yale.edu (Douglas Bitting) (01/28/91)

I know... I should have been paying attention to the various threads about the
IIsi so that I wouldn't have to ask these questions... but I didn't pay
attention, and now I am asking... :)

My questions are:

  o   How is the memory expansion handled?  Expansion card?  Simm sockets?
  o   What monitors work with the built in video card, Apple and non?
  o   Does anyone have any information on Plotters that are compatible with
       the Mac line?  Not just the IIsi.
  o   What are some good monitor alternatives if I am not happy with my
       choices that are compatible with the built in cards?  What are their
       costs?
  o   How is the FPU handled?  Can you just buy the slot adapter without
       anything to put in it?  Or do I need to have somthing in the slot
       adapter in order for the FPU to work?
  o   What are some good printers (laser quality preferably) that work with
       the Macintoshes (Besides the Apple ones obviously)?
  o   And, finally, if there has been something that you have gotten for
       your Macintosh (hardware or software) that you absolutely could not
       live without, what is it?

Since these topics have been pretty much hashed on the net here, please respond
by email to bitting@cs.yale.edu so that we can save net bandwidth and so I
don't have to go searching for your answers... :)

If anyone wants a summary of any/all info I gather, just lemme know.
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Doug Bitting			  || Internet:

krweiss@ucdavis.edu (02/09/91)

ATTENTION: FANS OF STUPID QUESTIONS

Here's one for you... There is a little green light on the front left side of
the Mac IIsi system case. Is this a drive active light, or is it a power on
light? I ask because the light on my IIsi is on all the time -- it doesn't
blink during disk access.

(I apologize if this is a RTFM issue. I'm setting the machine up for a friend,
and would prefer to leave the shrink wrap on all the books, etc. so they can
have the fun of unwrapping...)

There, I bet that's the simplest question on comp.sys.mac.hardware today!

Ken Weiss
krweiss@ucdavis.edu

carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Fisher Library support) (02/09/91)

In article <10519@aggie.ucdavis.edu> krweiss@ucdavis.edu writes:
>ATTENTION: FANS OF STUPID QUESTIONS
>
>Here's one for you... There is a little green light on the front left side of
>the Mac IIsi system case. Is this a drive active light, or is it a power on
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>light? I ask because the light on my IIsi is on all the time -- it doesn't
>blink during disk access.
>
>(I apologize if this is a RTFM issue. I'm setting the machine up for a friend,
>and would prefer to leave the shrink wrap on all the books, etc. so they can
>have the fun of unwrapping...)
>
>There, I bet that's the simplest question on comp.sys.mac.hardware today!
>
>Ken Weiss
>krweiss@ucdavis.edu

This may shed some "light" on the matter: none of the new Macs, Classic, LC
and IIsi have drive active lights. Do not despair! You can use Norton Util's
Disk Light (?) A PD cdev InUse, or get Silverlining to display a blinking dot
on your monitor's top left corner.

****    My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public   ****
Norton Chia	||  My address is carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
Micro Support	||	"When are they going to put in built-in spell-chequers"

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/10/91)

In article <10519@aggie.ucdavis.edu> krweiss@ucdavis.edu writes:

> There is a little green light on the front left side of the Mac IIsi
> system case. Is this a drive active light, or is it a power on light?

It is a power on light.  I am a bit disappointed with the lack of a
disk activity light.  I know that the Norton utilities for the Mac
includes a disk activity light init.  Are there any similar programs
that are PD, shareware, free, or FTPable?

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Fisher Library support) (02/12/91)

In article <648@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>In article <10519@aggie.ucdavis.edu> krweiss@ucdavis.edu writes:
>
>> There is a little green light on the front left side of the Mac IIsi
>> system case. Is this a drive active light, or is it a power on light?
>
>It is a power on light.  I am a bit disappointed with the lack of a
>disk activity light.  I know that the Norton utilities for the Mac
>includes a disk activity light init.  Are there any similar programs
>that are PD, shareware, free, or FTPable?
>
>-john-
>
>--
>John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
>NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

Try In Use cdev (or is that InUse?) It is ftp'able and I believe it is free.

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.021330.15986@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Fisher Library support) writes:
> > It is a power on light.  I am a bit disappointed with the lack of a
> > disk activity light.

> Try In Use cdev (or is that InUse?) It is ftp'able ...

Thanks to everyone that mailed and posted about InUse.  It works real
slick on the IIsi with system 6.0.7.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (02/15/91)

Actually you could conceivably fashion your own disk activity light for the
IIsi.  A friend of mine has just bought one, and upon installing a Fujitsu 3.5"
drive in it (those drives are GREAT, BTW), I examined the power light a bit
more closely.  I think that apple originally intended to use a 2 color LED for
the purpose of power/drive activity, as the necessary spacings and parts are
provided.  All a user would need to do is to get a 2-color LED of approrpiate
size, solder the power indicator cables onto the green side, the hard drive
indicator cables on the red side and you should be set.

Mind you, a warning to any potential hobbyists about to rush out!  I haven't
tried this!  This is pure Theory based on observation and I will not be held
responsible for any damage you might cause to your computer, yourself, your
friends, Apple Computer and the world as we know it...

If anyone actually tries this and it works, please let me know...

 uucp : ucrmath!alchemy!hzink |     Financial Independence *CAN* be Yours!
 INET : hzink@alchemy.uucp    | 24hr Taped Information Hotline (714) 276-2020
 Wesley: "Captain, this doesn't look like the holodeck to me."
   Worf: "Ready to cycle airlock, Captain." Picard: "Make it so."