[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Bad Power Key on my cx?

ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) (02/13/91)

Lately, when I hit the power key on my cx, nothing happens.  Actually I get
what sounds like the speaker turning off and on (a kinda muted click) and
then nothing.  The system will not power up.  Drives me crazy.  I used to
like the idea of a power key, but now I find myself wishing for a regular
switch.  BTW, I tried the button on the back, same thing happens.  Eventually
I get lucky and it turns on, but it takes forever (10-20 tries or more).

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance.

--
Alex Jauch
*ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu       |"If all you have is a hammer, then the whole*

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt (BNR)) (02/16/91)

In article <27B89513.7685@ics.uci.edu> ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu
(Alexander Edwin Jauch) writes:
> Lately, when I hit the power key on my cx, nothing happens.  Actually I
get
> what sounds like the speaker turning off and on (a kinda muted click) and
> then nothing.  The system will not power up.

We have same problem here but with a Mac II.  Selecting Restart seems to
exacerbate the problem.  The keyboard on key is more likely to work if we
select Shutdown first and wait a moment before trying the keyboard on key.

When the problem does occur (e.g. the keyboard on key doesn't turn the Mac
II on), the only thing that works is to unplug the Mac II, re-plug it back
in and then press the keyboard on key.  If it's important, its a vanilla 8
Mb/40Mb Mac II, except for a (yech) old 19" or so, MegaScreen monochrome
monitor.

Our useless corporate computer dealer (who shall remain nameless --no
doubt the result of some financial gnome's low-bid RFP process) says its
the Mac's system file (and I'm embarrassed to say yup, we were so
desparate we even tried that, but to no avail.)

> I used to
> like the idea of a power key, but now I find myself wishing for a regular
> switch.

me too!

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca