[comp.sys.mac.hardware] refilling deskwriter ink cartridges

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (02/15/91)

hi there,

'cause I'm german, you may not understand what I want. Here some long explanation.

What I'm looking for is some way how to refill the Deskwriter Ink s.th. (forgot
the word for it, sorry) which seems to be the printhead. Since a new one
is very expensive, that would help me to save a lot of money.
My dealer gave me the advice that this might somehow be possible, but he
doesn't know exactly how.

Thanx in advance.

If that is not of a general interesst, please mail directly.

Oliver

---		Oliver Breidenbach, CSD, Technische Universitaet, Muenchen
                      E-Mail: Oliver.Breidenbach@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.de

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (02/17/91)

Oliver:

It is possible to refill DeskWriter ink cartridges in a number of ways ...
I've heard reports that it is possible to do this yourself, but there is a
company in Waltham, MA, USA that sells a kit to do this.  It costs $20 for
a two-pack of refills.

Their address is:

Graphic Utilities, Incorporated
PO box 1048
Waltham, MA 02254
(800)669-4723

Good Luck,

Brad

-------------- potentially long .sig file ahead -------------
"It was unintelligible at any speed we played it."
  -- A US Government report investigating
     possible bad words in "Louie Louie"

Brad Hathaway
work phone: (412) 268-8454
email:bh11@andrew.cmu.edu

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (02/18/91)

Here's something that I received in the mail almost a year ago ... I hope
that it will help those interested in refilling their ink cartridges.

   In the May 1989 issue of _Personal Systems_, the Journal of the San
   Diego Computer Society, there is an article by Larry Rymal
   (Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET) titled "Recharging Your DeskJet
   Cartridges", which was downloaded from Usenet (where, I don't know --
   I didn't see it posted):

   "Buy Sheaffer's Skrip jet black ink -- about $1.50 for a bottle, lasts
   about five recharges.

   "'Recharging the DeskJet cartridge is a simple matter. Take an ink
   cartridge that is light but is still feeding ink. When the cartridge
   feels 'light' in weight (less than 1.5 oz), it is a candidate for
   refilling. If it is totally dry, it seems to have some problem on
   clearing the nozzles or something -- por candidate.

   "Ream out the air hole to about the width of a pencil eraser. Make
   sure that the air hole is much larger than the needle or injector. You
   do not want pressurization to occur. The nozzle area is very fragile
   and pressure will destroy the integrity.

   "Now, using a machinist's hypodermic syringe (typically used for
   oiling), squirt in no more than two cc's of ink. A sponge inside the
   cartridge will absorb the ink. Make sure you inject no more than two
   cc's into the cartridge.

   "More than two cc's will cause gravity to induce a siphon effect and
   you will lose all your ink overnight. Inside the cartridge, you'll
   notice a sponge -- it prevents the siphon. As long as there is no ink
   pooling on top of the sponge, you are in good shape. Actually, I
   inject no more than 1cc, just to be sure.

   "Currently, I've only been successful using Sheaffer's Skrip jet black
   ink. The bottle is really cheap -- about $1.50 (local) US. You can
   typically recharge the cartridge five times with one bottle.

   "This cartridge is several months, and several reams of paper, old --
   it has probably gone through 1500 sheets of heavy printing (dark
   pages, DTP work) and is still printing with no fuzzies. There is no
   way that a regular cartridge would last through that much paper with
   the amount of dark desktop publishing that I do on the HP DeskJet.

   "Ok, the obvious question: Can we get rid of water soluble ink and use
   different colors?

   "I've had some success on Sheaffer's red ink but it is just not
   correct. You get streaks. Apparently, the balance of ink concentrate
   is not as 'correct' for the cartridge as the jet black is. I haven't
   had the ability yet to find permanent ink for testing. The problem
   comes from not having any spent cartridges to play with.

   "Note that India Ink will not work. That is an ink which uses
   suspended solid particles. No go... There you have it. Experiment,
   save bucks, and ENJOY!"

haney@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HANEY PATRICIA J) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb14.180753@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE> breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) writes:

>What I'm looking for is some way how to refill the Deskwriter Ink s.th. (forgot
>the word for it, sorry) which seems to be the printhead. Since a new one
>is very expensive, that would help me to save a lot of money.
>---		Oliver Breidenbach, CSD, Technische Universitaet, Muenchen
>                      E-Mail: Oliver.Breidenbach@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.de

I've seen one company so far that offers HP DeskWriter ink cartridges:
MISCO. Their price was $10.99 for a black ink refill and they had red
and blue ink refills available in twin packs for $23.95.
Their phone # is 1-800-876-4726 or 1-201-264-1000 and hours are listed
as 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. The flier I have says orders
received before 3:30 their time will be shipped the same day.

I haven't ordered from them, nor have I heard of anyone else who has;
I just saved the flyer for when I have enough empty cartridges. By the
way, in the US DW ink cartridges are selling for $15 US + shipping from
Mac Depot in LA: (800) 222-2808.

Hope that helps!
-Trish
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^  Trish Haney            ^ haney@tramp.Colorado.edu  ^  "Do androids        ^
^  Undergrad, CU Boulder  ^   305 30th Street         ^   dream of           ^
^   "The Mac Helper"      ^   Boulder, CO  80303-3321 ^   electric sheep?"   ^
^    Beginner help        ^   (303) 494-0309          ^      -Philip K. Dick ^

eck@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Hangnail Whipperwill) (02/18/91)

    Just a note of clarification...the file posted by
bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu describe refilling DESKJET cartridges, not
DESKWRITER cartridges...refilling DW cartridges involves no reaming out
of air holes and takes 10 ccs of ink, injected into the little hole on
the top...

Brian