[comp.sys.mac.hardware] HELP! Broken floppy drive?

guest@hpsmdca.HP.COM (Guest Account) (02/12/91)

I'd like to ask the net for help with an internal 800K floppy drive on a
Mac SE.

Whenever I put a disk in the computer it displays the "initialize floppy?"
dialog box.  At first I thought I had a bad disk ... then I tried inserting
several other recently used "presumed good" disks and they all give the same
"initialize?" dialog box.  I tried putting in a new disk and telling it to go
ahead and initialize.  It tries for a second, then says "initialization
failed!".  I doubt that all the floppies could suddenly go bad all at once,
since they're stored in several different locations around the room.

This is my sister's computer; she uses it to work at home.  My four year old
nephew, unfortunately, seems to have taken a liking to the Mac, and has
learned how to turn it on.  My suspicion is that he may may tried to insert a
floppy into the drive the wrong way, forced it, and damaged the insides.
My sister says she's noticed the drive making "funny noises" recently :-(.
Is this idea consistent with the symptoms mentioned above?  I've brought in my
own "presumed good" disks and gotten the same results.  What else could cause
these problems?  Does she need to replace the drive, or is there a simpler fix?

By the way, it's a Mac SE, about two years old, running System 6.0.5.

Please respond by e-mail to the address below.

Thanks!!!

Bill Leong
bill@hpsmdcb.hp.com

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (02/18/91)

In article <139610001@hpsmdca.HP.COM> guest@hpsmdca.HP.COM (Guest Account) writes:
>I'd like to ask the net for help with an internal 800K floppy drive on a
>Mac SE.
I had a similar problem recently - first the internal drive started
misbehaving, and then the external. When I opened the Mac, I found
that the 5 volt rail was down to ~4.4 v. Despite this low voltage, the
main board kept on working happily! The problem was the power supply
connector on the analog board. It had overheated at some time, and
this had damaget the plating on the connector, causing a high
resistance connection. I replaced the connector, recalibrated the
power supply, and everything, including both floppy drives, worked
perfectly.

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.