[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mice and men

ingemar@isy.liu.se (Ingemar Ragnemalm) (02/14/91)

A few years back, all the Mac mice were made in USA. They had large, heavy
mouse balls. I find these mice to work rather well. Of course, you have to
clean the wheels (not only the ball) from time to time.

Then it seems like Apple as well as IBM switched to foreign mice, Taiwanese
ones I think. They were much lighter and had these small black balls.
(I am sure you remember the amusing text about mouse balls, said to be
a text from some IBM manual.) I wasn't too happy about them, mostly since
I am used to the heavier ones, I guess, but they also seem more sensitive
to dirt on the wheels.

When the new Macs arrived in October, I thought they would have the same
(bad) light mice. However, all the Macs I've seen from the student's computer
dealer (one LC and one Classic, so far) have heavy mice - made in Taiwan!
The Macs from another dealer all have light mice.

So, my question is: is Apple switching back to heavy mice, or are they
mixing types for some other reason? (My dealer didn't know. They hadn't even
heard of new heavy mice.)

--
Ingemar Ragnemalm
Dept. of Electrical Engineering	     ...!uunet!mcvax!enea!rainier!ingemar

dth@shark.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) (02/16/91)

In article <ingemar.666525528@stuart> ingemar@isy.liu.se (Ingemar Ragnemalm) writes:
>A few years back, all the Mac mice were made in USA. They had large, heavy
>mouse balls. I find these mice to work rather well. Of course, you have to
>clean the wheels (not only the ball) from time to time.
>
>Then it seems like Apple as well as IBM switched to foreign mice, Taiwanese
>ones I think. They were much lighter and had these small black balls.
>(I am sure you remember the amusing text about mouse balls, said to be
>a text from some IBM manual.) I wasn't too happy about them, mostly since
>I am used to the heavier ones, I guess, but they also seem more sensitive
>to dirt on the wheels.
>
> <stuff deleted>
>So, my question is: is Apple switching back to heavy mice, or are they
>mixing types for some other reason? (My dealer didn't know. They hadn't even
>heard of new heavy mice.)

Hmmm....  I just recently purchased a IIci, and the mouse that came
with it was the Taiwanese "light" version.  After using it for about
three weeks, I bought one of the older versions from a dealer who
still had them in stock.

The new light ball versions tend to stick a lot; this is annoying in
applications and *deadly* in games (try playing Solarian with a sticking
mouse).  Before switching I had tried all sorts of things, such as new
mouse pad, cleaning the mouse, "roughing" up the rubber on the ball with
fine-grain sandpaper--nothing helped.

I've had the heavier mouse for about a month now, and things are 100%
better.  "Made in the USA" is definitely the way to go here.

Dave Hightower		|    opinion? I'm allowed to have an opinion?
dth@cis.ufl.edu		| well, if I DID have one, it'd be mine, all mine!
"The world's major troublespots these days were formerly known only
 to crossword-puzzle fans."                              --Val Tupy

EY28@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (02/20/91)

In article <26951@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, dth@shark.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower)
says:

>In article <ingemar.666525528@stuart> ingemar@isy.liu.se (Ingemar Ragnemalm)
>writes:
>>A few years back, all the Mac mice were made in USA. They had large, heavy
>>mouse balls. I find these mice to work rather well. Of course, you have to
>>clean the wheels (not only the ball) from time to time.
>>
>>Then it seems like Apple as well as IBM switched to foreign mice, Taiwanese
>>ones I think. They were much lighter and had these small black balls.
>> <stuff deleted>
>>So, my question is: is Apple switching back to heavy mice, or are they
>>mixing types for some other reason? (My dealer didn't know. They hadn't even
>>heard of new heavy mice.)
>

>Hmmm....  I just recently purchased a IIci, and the mouse that came
>with it was the Taiwanese "light" version.  After using it for about
>three weeks, I bought one of the older versions from a dealer who
>still had them in stock.
 <stuff deleted>
>I've had the heavier mouse for about a month now, and things are 100%
>better.  "Made in the USA" is definitely the way to go here.

Interesting..... I tried to get a heavy ball for my old SE last year. No luck.

Then.. Jan 1991. Take delivery of an LC. Had a light ball.  Made in Taiwan.
       Feb 1991  Take delivery of a 2 nd. LC. Had a heavy Ball & made in
                                                     Malasia!

For the record... I think the heavy mouse is the nicest to use.
 So what is the story?

Dr. A.F. Calder, Dept. Materials Science, Liverpool University, England
 EMAIL: EY28@LIVERPOOL.UK.AC - - o   Radiation  /  Nobody is paying me
 PHONE: 051-794-5364  - - - - - o   Damage     /       to say this.
   FAX: 051-794-4675 - - - - - o   Group      /  WHICH IS A DAMN SHAME!