[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 03FF00 SadMac on Plus

rashid@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert G Rashid) (02/18/91)

I hope I have chosen the correct group for this problem.

I have a Mac Plus which has been showing some erratic behavior.
On startup, periodically I will get the SadMac icon with a variety
of numbers.  The most frequent (repeated the last three bombs) has
been 03FF00.  I am unable to identify what this indicates.  I thought
the 03 meant a memory problem, but my listing of codes does not
indicate what the FF00 would point to.

Of importance, I have a Supermac 2Meg upgrade that was installed in 1987,
and I am on my third power supply board (replaced 1 year ago).

I am also having a real problem with the machine when trying to insert
a disk.  If the machine has just been turned on, disk insertion (it normally
starts from an external HD) will cause a system bomb (ID=02, or sometimes
03?).  Frequently, insertion will also cause a reset, periodically followed
by the infamous SadMac.  Restarting, and then inserting a disk usually
results in normal performance. (but not always :-(...).

My first suspicions of the cause(s) is the memory board.  Since I have
been considering an upgrade, I want to insure that doing that will cure
the problem, and not be money down the drain (sure, I can use the memory
in another mac, but my other mac is a portable...).

Any and all help would be appreciated.  It can be posted here, or to me
by email.
--
  | Bob Rashid                |   Rashid.1@osu.edu |
  | College of Dentistry      |   305 W. 12th Ave. |

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb18.142402.17575@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> rashid@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert G Rashid) writes:
>I hope I have chosen the correct group for this problem.

This is the place!

>I have a Mac Plus which has been showing some erratic behavior.
>On startup, periodically I will get the SadMac icon with a variety
>of numbers.  The most frequent (repeated the last three bombs) has
>been 03FF00.  I am unable to identify what this indicates.  I thought
>the 03 meant a memory problem, but my listing of codes does not
>indicate what the FF00 would point to.
>
>Of importance, I have a Supermac 2Meg upgrade that was installed in 1987,
>and I am on my third power supply board (replaced 1 year ago).
>
>I am also having a real problem with the machine when trying to insert
>a disk.  If the machine has just been turned on, disk insertion (it normally
>starts from an external HD) will cause a system bomb (ID=02, or sometimes
>03?).  Frequently, insertion will also cause a reset, periodically followed
>by the infamous SadMac.  Restarting, and then inserting a disk usually
>results in normal performance. (but not always :-(...).
>
>My first suspicions of the cause(s) is the memory board.  Since I have
>been considering an upgrade, I want to insure that doing that will cure
>the problem, and not be money down the drain (sure, I can use the memory
>in another mac, but my other mac is a portable...).

This sounds like a problem that Larry Pina told me about a year ago: In
cases where there is insufficient power from the power supply, often a
system error is caused.

Here's the situation: Let's say your Mac starts normally from your external
drive.  You use it for a while, then throw a disk into your internal.  This
naturally enough causes the floppy motor to spin and a drain on the power
supply.  Normally, a power supply should deal with this drain OK, but if the
supply is weak, *not set correctly!!!*, and you've got the additional
drain from your SuperMac board, the power could fall enough to underpower
the logic and Poof! system error time.  As I remember, Larry actually was
able to demonstrate this.

Here's what I'd do, in order of importance/cost:

1) check the power supply - it should be *exactly* 5 volts!  You can measure
it from the middle plug in the harness that connects the logic board with
the power supply (one slot is empty, count the slots-not the wires).  Use
a digital multimeter for best results.  Please take proper precautions
against the high voltage present in the area-if you have never worked on
electronic equipment, find a friend who has.  It's not hard, but there
are safety rules which must be followed.

You can set the voltage using a 99 cent TV alignment tool from Radio Shack.
Don't buy the $5 package of tools, all you need is the ones in the 99cent
package.

Before setting the voltage, while the Mac is hooked up to the multimeter,
try throwing a disk in the internal drive and watch what the voltage does.

You know, so many Mac pluses just have the voltage set wrong.  The worst
offenders were the platinum macs, right from the factory.  In an office
with 8 pluses, the two worst were the newest platinums (one was at 4.6 volts!)

Often, repair shops replacing power supplies and upgrades fail to reset
the voltage correctly.

2) Since you've already blown three power supplies, its high time you
upgraded the one you have and stop throwing money at your local Apple
repairman.  You can get a complete set of parts from SoftSolutions, with
a soldering iron and the aforementioned multimeter, you can install
the kit in a couple of hours, and probably never have to worry about
power supply again.  SoftSolutions (503) 461-1136.

Complete instructions are in Larry's book "Macintosh Repair & Upgrade
Secrets" most likely in your local mall.  As you can see above, I know
Larry,  but I don't make any money on his book sales.

As a further thought, you might want to measure the voltage (before you
reset it) with the Supermac board on vs. with the board removed.  This
might give you an idea of the power that the board is drawing.

Good luck,
Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."