[comp.sys.mac.hardware] New Driver

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (02/18/91)

Has anyone else seen this?  I just checked a local BBS and found
version 2.1 of the DeskWriter drivers (AppleTalk and non-AppleTalk).
Supposedly a lot of bugs are fixed (including the one which could
corrupt the Memory Manager in v2.0) and there is now support for
low-level printing calls.

Does HP ever distribute these things widely, though?  It's not on
any FTP sites I've seen (I *have* sent the package to SUMEX, Rascal,
etc.) and I never received an upgrade notice.

For that matter, is HP on the net so I can ask without having to
call long distance?

Thanks,
 -- Dave

--
David Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu) -- Rochester General Hospital Radiology
   (Consultant) and Case Western Reserve Univ. (Psychology/Chemistry)

Prisoner of CHEM 302 and CHEM 305 (until May 7, 1991!)

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (02/18/91)

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) writes:

>Has anyone else seen this?  I just checked a local BBS and found
>version 2.1 of the DeskWriter drivers (AppleTalk and non-AppleTalk).
>Supposedly a lot of bugs are fixed (including the one which could
>corrupt the Memory Manager in v2.0) and there is now support for
>low-level printing calls.

I found it on America Online on February 13th, a few hours after it had
been posted.  The dates on the HP files are from December, 1990, though.

>Does HP ever distribute these things widely, though?  It's not on
>any FTP sites I've seen (I *have* sent the package to SUMEX, Rascal,
>etc.) and I never received an upgrade notice.

Same here, although I understand that your dealer is supposed to provide
this 'service'.  Hell, I've never heard ANYTHING from my dealer since I
bought the thing over a year ago, and I've been in there several time to
buy new ink cartridges.

>For that matter, is HP on the net so I can ask without having to
>call long distance?

I've seen HP postings, but I don't think they can 'officially' post anything.
If HP hasn't any objection, I'll send it to comp.binaries.mac

Please, dear readers, DON'T ask me to e-mail it to you.

Michael Nolan
nolan@helios.unl.edu

neff@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (02/21/91)

Regarding DeskWriter drivers on BBS and ftp sites:

I have talked to various people in support and marketting about making
the latest DeskWriter driver available on one of our open subnet ftp
systems, but nobody is willing to take responsibility for the issue
and willing to say its O.K. (probably partly due to the fact most
of the marketting and support people don't have a clue as to what ftp
even is).  The main concern is that someone will put a virus infected
copy of a DeskWriter driver on some public forum which would lead to
a publicity nightmare.  I did get permission for our own internal HP
MAC users to distribute the driver on one of our HP closed subnet ftp
sites, but that doesn't help most of you :-(.

The one fact I have confirmed, is that HP does not care if you copy and
distribute the DeskWriter driver to others who have a DeskWriter.  There
are no restrictions or royalties involved with the driver.  The outline
fonts, however, are a different matter and they must not be copied or
distributed (this applies both to the fonts that come with the driver
as well as the optional fonts).  I don't believe anyone from HP would
bother someone if they posted the latest version of the driver to
comp.binaries.mac, but I am in no position to officially "bless" the
action (otherwise I would just post it myself).  However if someone
posted a modified driver (especially a virus infected river), then
HP would start to be very concerned.

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM