[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac to Mac Copying

lfk@eastman1.mit.edu (Lee F. Kolakowski) (02/20/91)

Hello MacNetLand,

	My wife just bought a Classic with 2MB and 40MB HD. She
has a machine on her desk right now which is a SE/30. We would like to
wholesale copy the SE/30 disk on to the Classic Disk. Can we do this
with an apple talk cable or scsi cable between the two machines to
allow each to access each others disk? Sort of like mounting
another partition on to my Unix box?

Thanks for your help.

Mac novice a.k.a

--

Frank Kolakowski

|lfk@athena.mit.edu or lfk@eastman1.mit.edu or kolakowski@wccf.mit.edu|
| Lee F. Kolakowski                 M.I.T.                            |
| Dept of Chemistry                 Room 18-506                       |
| 77 Massachusetts Ave.             Cambridge, MA 02139               |
| AT&T:  1-617-253-1866             #include <disclaimer.h>           |
||Desert Storm - Lasers have made this the cleanest *dirty war* ever.||

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (02/21/91)

In article <LFK.91Feb19213518@eastman1.mit.edu>, lfk@eastman1.mit.edu (Lee F. Kolakowski) writes:

> Hello MacNetLand,
>
> 	My wife just bought a Classic with 2MB and 40MB HD. She
> has a machine on her desk right now which is a SE/30. We would like to
> wholesale copy the SE/30 disk on to the Classic Disk. Can we do this
> with an apple talk cable or scsi cable between the two machines to
> allow each to access each others disk? Sort of like mounting
> another partition on to my Unix box?

Any easy way to do this is with Public Folder.  Public Folder allows
you to fetch files and folders from a specified folder on another Macintosh
over an AppleTalk network.  Usually this folder is called Public,
but PF lets you designate any folder to be the public folder using
the Setup button.  This includes the root folder, i.e. the whole disk
is in the public folder.

So get a copy of Public Folder from one of the internet archives or
one of the commercial services or bbs or even send mail to me and
I'll send it to you.  Install it on both machines.  On the SE/30 use
the Setup button in PF to designate your whole disk as the public
folder (enter the name of the disk followed by a colon HD20: ).

Then on the Classic, select the SE/30 in the chooser (and wait a little
while while PF scans the disk) and copy away.  It takes a while, but
considering the speed of LocalTalk and the megabytes you need to transfer
it's not too bad.

Oh yes, you do need to have a LocalTalk connection between the two
machines.

-- michael

P.S.  Public Folder is a Freeware product from Claris Corp. available
to all.  They're nice folks...

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

-- Ask me about AppSizer (and ask Claris about Public Folder :-)