[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Modem for Classic recommendations wanted

dagnall@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Dagnall) (02/17/91)

	Very soon now I should receive my new Mac Classic from the
clogged channels of the campus Apple distributor.  I wish to get
a modem and communications software to go with it, and I'd like
your recommendations.
	I want to connect to my campus mainframe account, with the ability to
send and receive files.  Time is not very important; it's a local call.
I want to transmit and receive files to friends in other states.
I am interested in internet access independent of the campus mainframe,
for after I graduate.  And lastly, I am looking for something at the
lower end of the expense scale.

	Thank you,

Robert Dagnall             dagnall@ocf.berkeley.edu
"Take the land, Christian soldiers, take the old ways too, but
please, goddamnit, leave me my soul."--William Least Heat Moon

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (02/20/91)

In article <41024@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> dagnall@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Dagnall) writes:

>	Very soon now I should receive my new Mac Classic from the
>clogged channels of the campus Apple distributor.  I wish to get
>a modem and communications software to go with it, and I'd like
>your recommendations.

I recently bought both the $99 Power User 2400 baud modem and the $145
Smart One 2400/1200 Modem, both from MacWarehouse.  Both function
entirely adequately.

The $99 modem is supposed to come with MacKnowledge communications
software, but in fact it comes with a crippled demo version that I
found to be worthless; it can't even be used for downloading.  [Shame
on you, MacWarehouse, for misleading advertising!]  The power switch
is on the front, a brilliant and innovative idea that I wish other
manufacturers would copy.  The LEDs are behind a black plastic cover
with clear letters in it, and are a little hard to read.

The $145 modem has a somewhat more complete subset of the Hayes
instruction set, and is in a nicer (albeit larger) box, but the power
switch is in the back.  It comes with QuickLinkII software, which
doesn't have much in the way of fancy features, but what it has,
works; I now use it almost exclusively.  Oh yeah, the modem comes with
a Prodigy startup kit (whoop-de-do).

Both modems come with appropriate cables.  (Don't buy a modem without
a cable unless you LIKE hassles.)  As I say, both work fine, so I'd
recommend the $145 modem if you need communications software, the $99
one if you don't.  [Prodigy startup kits are a dime a dozen, so even
if you want to get onto the net known primarily for its censorship,
this shouldn't be a consideration.]

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --
|   When I was young, my family bought a color TV.  Our neigbors, who   |
| were poorer, had only a black-and-white set.  They bought a piece of  |
| cellophane, red on top, yellow in the middle, and blue on the bottom, |
| and taped it over their screen, so they could claim that they had a   |
| color TV, too.                                                        |
|   Now there's Windows 3.0.                                            |

toma@bit.UUCP (Tom Arneberg) (02/22/91)

In article <16572@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
>I recently bought both the $99 Power User 2400 baud modem and the $145
>Smart One 2400/1200 Modem, both from MacWarehouse.  Both function
>entirely adequately.
> 	[other useful info deleted]
>
>-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --

This is great info, but made me curious -- are you implying that the Power
User modem for $99 works *only* at 2400? If so, does anyone have any
advice for whether it's "safe" nowadays to not be able to go down to
1200? (I haven't done any BBS-ing for a couple years; I know that back then
you needed the 1200 baud option...)

Thanks for the info,
Tom A.

:-) I'd rather be  ____  Thomas Arneberg   |   #include <std_disclaimer.h>    |
:-) barbershop   _|   _| Bipolar Int. Tech.| bit!toma@cse.ogi.edu             |
:-) quartet!    (_)  (_) Beaverton, Oregon | ...!{ogicse,sun,decwrl}!bit!toma |