[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Want info on Soft Solutions Mac+ PSU upgrade kit and fans

atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu (Todd Schneider) (02/25/91)

Has anyone installed the heavy-duty Mac+ PSU upgrade kit that
Soft Soultions sells? If so, I would appreciate it if you could
answer a few questions for me.

How much does it cost?
How easy is it to install?
Does the kit include the heavy-duty wiring harness (18-AWG) and improved
 flyback transformer?

Also,

How much does Soft Solutions charge for their 12Vdc and 120Vac internal fans?

Thanks,
Todd
(atschnei@vlsi.uwaterloo.ca)
+ University of Waterloo               | atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu +
+ Department of Electrical Engineering | atschnei@vlsi.uwaterloo.ca +
+ VLSI Group                           | Office:(519)885-1211 x3896 +

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb24.213444.25213@vlsi.waterloo.edu> atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu (Todd Schneider) writes:
>Has anyone installed the heavy-duty Mac+ PSU upgrade kit that
>Soft Soultions sells? If so, I would appreciate it if you could
>answer a few questions for me.

I have installed eight of these kits in as many Mac pluses.  You can see
the difference in the quality of the parts that you're taking out
vs. the parts that you're putting in. For example, one of the caps has
a voltage rating of 25volts and you're replacing it with a 100volts.

None of the eight upgraded Macs has since had a power supply failure
in a period of 8 months to a year and a half.

>How much does it cost?

About $56 if you include the replacement width coil.

>How easy is it to install?

It is fairly straightforward. You'll need a desoldering tool (that
ugly colored blue & white pump from Radio Shack works nicely, but a
plain bulb will do.), an exacto knife to cut through the glue on the
board (there's few globs on the parts), some double sided adhesive pads
(availble at your local stationery shop), a daub of heat sink silicone
(try to borrow some, it's ~$8 a tube and you only need a drop), a
small nut and bolt (a 6/32, I think) for the same semiconductor that
needs the heat sink gunk, a digital multimeter, a set of Radio
Shack TV alignment tools (99 cents) and some decent soldering skills.

>Does the kit include the heavy-duty wiring harness (18-AWG) and improved
> flyback transformer?

No harness, but a replacement for the connector it plugs into (this is often
the victim of oxidation when you have power supply problems.  You do get
the good flyback.

>Also,
>
>How much does Soft Solutions charge for their 12Vdc and 120Vac internal fans?

I don't know if they carry them, if not they are available from other sources.

>Thanks,
>Todd

You're welcome,
Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (02/25/91)

:>
:>How much does Soft Solutions charge for their 12Vdc and 120Vac internal fans?

$39 for 128/512/Plus 120v fan.
Apparently they don't like 12v fans and don't
carry one.

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu