[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Seiko vs. Apple monitor

Abraxas@itsgw.rpi.edu (Yi Sun) (02/25/91)

I am considering getting a color monitor for my se/30. I know
that there is the apple 13" hi-res RGB and the Seiko cm1445 14"
monitors on the market.  I think the Seiko is a bit cheaper.

Question:
Can someone familiar with both monitors offer some
recommendation? or care to suggest another alternative.

And where is the cheapest mail-order place ?

I saw an ad on Feb issue of MacWorld from Bottomline. they have
both monitors at $545. Has anyone have experience with them?
(they charge $2/min for the phone).

Thanks.

Abraxas@rpi.edu

arie@eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (02/25/91)

w3>>>>> On 24 Feb 91 19:57:32 GMT, Abraxas@itsgw.rpi.edu (Yi Sun) said:

| I am considering getting a color monitor for my se/30. I know
| that there is the apple 13" hi-res RGB and the Seiko cm1445 14"
| monitors on the market.  I think the Seiko is a bit cheaper.

| Question:
| Can someone familiar with both monitors offer some
| recommendation? or care to suggest another alternative.

| And where is the cheapest mail-order place ?

| I saw an ad on Feb issue of MacWorld from Bottomline. they have
| both monitors at $545. Has anyone have experience with them?
| (they charge $2/min for the phone).

| Thanks.

| --

| -----------------------------------------------------------------
| Abraxas@rpi.edu

I am using both, the Apple 13" RGB and the Seiko Instruments 14".
As far as I can tell, there is no difference in how they look,
understandably so since they both use the same Sony tube.  The
Seiko comes with a stand, included in the listed price, whereas
Apple's stand is separate.  Other differences include the fact that
MaxAppleZoom, the INIT that lets one use the whole screen area does
not work with the Seiko, and the fact that Apple's monitor will
work in an 220V environment whereas the Seiko won't (at least the
one I have doesn't say it would).

I am very happy with my Seiko monitor and had never had any problems.
I mostly leave it on, as well as the Apple monitor.

Arie Covrigaru                     |    Internet: arie@eecs.umich.edu
University of Michigan AI Lab      |    1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109

hardin@dino.cad.mcc.com (John Hardin) (02/26/91)

arie@eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) [AC>] says:
|  On 24 Feb 91 19:57:32 GMT, Abraxas@itsgw.rpi.edu (Yi Sun) said:

|  | I am considering getting a color monitor for my se/30. I know
|  | that there is the apple 13" hi-res RGB and the Seiko cm1445 14"
|  | monitors on the market.  I think the Seiko is a bit cheaper.

|  | Question:
|  | Can someone familiar with both monitors offer some
|  | recommendation? or care to suggest another alternative.

|  | And where is the cheapest mail-order place ?

|  | I saw an ad on Feb issue of MacWorld from Bottomline. they have
|  | both monitors at $545. Has anyone have experience with them?
|  | (they charge $2/min for the phone).

|  | Thanks.

|  | --

|  | -----------------------------------------------------------------
|  | Abraxas@rpi.edu

|  I am using both, the Apple 13" RGB and the Seiko Instruments 14".
|  As far as I can tell, there is no difference in how they look,
|  understandably so since they both use the same Sony tube.  The
|  Seiko comes with a stand, included in the listed price, whereas
|  Apple's stand is separate.  Other differences include the fact that
|  MaxAppleZoom, the INIT that lets one use the whole screen area does
|  not work with the Seiko, and the fact that Apple's monitor will
|  work in an 220V environment whereas the Seiko won't (at least the
|  one I have doesn't say it would).

|  I am very happy with my Seiko monitor and had never had any problems.
|  I mostly leave it on, as well as the Apple monitor.

|  --
|  =============================================================================
|  Arie Covrigaru                     |    Internet: arie@eecs.umich.edu
|  University of Michigan AI Lab      |    1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109
|  =============================================================================

Does anyone know if MaxAppleZoom works with Sony's 1304 14" multiscan
monitor?

Curiously,
-jwh
--
John Hardin			   MCC CAD Program
AT&T:	512/338-3535		   3500 W. Balcones Center Drive

mkh6317@rigel.tamu.edu (HOWARD, MATTHEW KENDALL) (02/26/91)

In article <HARDIN.91Feb25101101@dino.cad.mcc.com>, hardin@dino.cad.mcc.com (John Hardin) writes...
> Some stuff about Seiko 1445 monitor deleted...
>Does anyone know if MaxAppleZoom works with Sony's 1304 14" multiscan
>monitor?

I have used MaxAppleZoom V1.3 with my Sony 1304HG monitor and it works
as advertised.  However, since the Sony 1304 (and probably others) has
external controls which let you expand the image size there is no need
to use MAZ.

By the way, the best price I've seen on the Sony 1304HG was $620 which
includes the cable, from ARGO Computers.  (See any Computer Shopper Mag.)
The 1304HG includes a built-in monitor stand.  I'm running mine on a IIci
with the onboard video. (I borrowed a 8-bit card to test MAZ V1.3)

Matt

In article <12597@helios.TAMU.EDU> mkh6317@rigel.tamu.edu writes:
>In article <HARDIN.91Feb25101101@dino.cad.mcc.com>, hardin@dino.cad.mcc.com (John Hardin) writes...
>> Some stuff about Seiko 1445 monitor deleted...
>>Does anyone know if MaxAppleZoom works with Sony's 1304 14" multiscan
>>monitor?
>
>I have used MaxAppleZoom V1.3 with my Sony 1304HG monitor and it works
>as advertised.  However, since the Sony 1304 (and probably others) has
>external controls which let you expand the image size there is no need
>to use MAZ.

I think you miss the point-- MaxAppleZoom gives you more pixels, not just
a bigger image.