[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Identifying SIMMs

rand@merrimack.edu (02/25/91)

Someone recently made a donation of some SIMMs I'd like to identify.
They came in a box labelled "Multi-SIMMs Megabyte SIMM modules for the
Macintosh Plus, SE, and II" from SiCLONE.

In each box there are 4 SIMMs. I'm wondering if the person gave us the
1/4MB SIMMs he replaced or really gave us 1MB SIMMs. Here are the
markings on the SIMMs:

First set:
Back:

NEC MC-41256a8b-12
8828me

Front of the 8 chips:

NEC
d41256-12
8825eea33

Second set:
Back:

PG Design Electronics

Front of the 8 chips (markedly larger than the first set)

km41c1000j-12
815 korea

Do I have the real McCoy or the old McCoy?

thanks

Rand P. Hall                    UUCP: {uunet,wang,ulowell}!samsung!hubdub!rand
Merrimack College                     rand%merrimack.edu@samsung.com
N. Andover, MA         I spend so much time doing nothing. Life's wasting away.

dbert@churchy.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.101258.21262@merrimack.edu> rand@merrimack.edu writes:
>Someone recently made a donation of some SIMMs I'd like to identify.
>They came in a box labelled "Multi-SIMMs Megabyte SIMM modules for the
>Macintosh Plus, SE, and II" from SiCLONE.
>
>In each box there are 4 SIMMs. I'm wondering if the person gave us the
>1/4MB SIMMs he replaced or really gave us 1MB SIMMs. Here are the
>markings on the SIMMs:
>
>First set:
>Back:
>
>NEC MC-41256a8b-12
>8828me
>
>Front of the 8 chips:
>
>NEC
>d41256-12
>8825eea33
>
>Second set:
>Back:
>
>PG Design Electronics
>
>Front of the 8 chips (markedly larger than the first set)
>
>km41c1000j-12
>815 korea
>

>Do I have the real McCoy or the old McCoy?
>
>thanks

Sorry, you have the old McCoy.  The 41256 means 256Kbits are in each chip
(x8 chips = 256K bytes of course)  Perhaps someone else out there could
answer a question I have now....is the -12 after that an indication of speed?
If so, in what way>  Does the 12 mean 120ns?  Or does it mean it'll work
on machines with speeds of under 12MHz?  Or is it unrelated to this?

And on a related note, how does processor speed relate with memory speed?
I know that faster processors need faster memory, but is there a formula you
can use where you can take one variable and determine the boundaries on the
other?  Thanks.

Doug Siebert                                     dbert@albert.ai.mit.edu
MBA Student (2nd year)
The University of Iowa