[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Modifying MacII, IIfx soft power switch so Mac powersup after power failure

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt (BNR)) (02/15/91)

Apologies if this is a FAQ, but is there a modification that one can
perform so that when the power fails on a Mac II or IIfx, it will
automatically boot up when the power comes back?  Standard application is
when the power failure occurs on a Mac II running AppleShare.

Soldering iron solutions acceptable, as are 3rd-party add-ons (PowerKey?).
 many thx,

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt (BNR)) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb14.230426.8814@bwdls61.bnr.ca> bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben
Schmidt (BNR)) writes:
> Apologies if this is a FAQ, but is there a modification that one can
> perform so that when the power fails on a Mac II or IIfx, it will
> automatically boot up when the power comes back?  Standard application
is
> when the power failure occurs on a Mac II running AppleShare.
>
> Soldering iron solutions acceptable, as are 3rd-party add-ons
(PowerKey?).

Thanks to the people who e-mailed me notes to use a screw driver and
set the power switch to permanently on.

Unfortunately, the Mac II (and apparently even the IIfx) don't have
anything but a square push button. Apparently Apple learned about the
problems caused by this arrangement before they brought out the IIcx
and IIci and improved their power switches to work either as
push-on/push-off or screw-on/screw-off.  Hmmm....I wonder if I could
get a replacement IIci power switch and get it installed on a Mac II?

I even got a suggestion to tape the soft power switch down.  Unfortunately
that
doesn't work either.  When the power is interrupted and then restored to a
Mac
II with it's power switch taped down, an internal relay clicks at 1 second
intervals
but the Mac II doesn't power up, unless the tape is removed and the power
switch
button is allowed to pop back out.

jgro@lia (Jeremy Grodberg) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb18.162416.28945@bwdls61.bnr.ca> bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt (BNR)) writes:
>[concerning how to get a Mac II to auto-reboot after a power failure]
>I even got a suggestion to tape the soft power switch down.
>Unfortunately that doesn't work either.

*DON'T DO THAT* even if it works.  When you press the soft key on the Mac
II, power flows from some lithium batteries soldered onto the motherboard
to the power-on relay.  If you leave the power switch taped down, you will
drain the battery, and be unable to start you mac without a costly
motherboard modification to replace the batteries!  The happened to me
due to a broken keyboard where the power button got stuck.

--
Jeremy Grodberg      "I don't feel witty today.  Don't bug me."
jgro@lia.com