[comp.sys.mac.hardware] GCC PLPII NOW COSTS UNDER ONE THOUSAND

josh@athena.mit.edu (Josh Hartmann) (02/26/91)

Yes, GCC just announced that its FABULOUS PLPII (Personal LaserPrinter II)
now costs $999.

This makes it the lowest-priced laser printer around, I think.

Their postscript edition costs $1999, which is very competitive.

Now, I paid $1399 for my PLPII. Anyone think there's any chance I can
get the upgrade for a bit over $600 :-)

I doubt it.
More like $1100.
--
Josh Hartmann             |     ___   ___     | ``the imagination is like an
josh@athena.mit.edu       |    |   | |   |    | engine that can work on many

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.092340.15758@athena.mit.edu> josh@athena.mit.edu (Josh Hartmann) writes:
>Yes, GCC just announced that its FABULOUS PLPII (Personal LaserPrinter II)
>now costs $999.
>Their postscript edition costs $1999, which is very competitive.
>Now, I paid $1399 for my PLPII. Anyone think there's any chance I can
>get the upgrade for a bit over $600 :-)
>I doubt it.
>More like $1100.

Actually, I remember from when I worked for GCC that one of the cool things
they did was price the postscript upgrade for the exact difference between
the list prices between the PLP II and BLP II lines, they wouldn't
penalize you for buying one and then upgrading. So the upgrade is
probably still $1000.

I'm really like the GCC PS printers, since besides the obvious reasons ;-),
I do believe they're some of the best deals around. Two features that I
seldom see highlighted in reviews are:
	a) SCSI port for DL fonts and font cache, a la NTX. You can hook
		up a $300 40 megger and your printing speed goes up
		significantly when using DL fonts and large resident fonts.
	b) Use of standard NTX SIMMs for RAM upgrading ($40-50 vs. $150-up).
		PostScript is a memory hog on large pages, and upping
		the RAM from the std 2MB to 4MB can make a big difference.
So what people really don't mention is that you can buy yourself a seriously
good performance PS printer for $2499 (BLP IIS, 8ppm) + $300 (40 meg external
HD) + $100 (2MB fx/NTX SIMMs) = $2899 (which used to be the list for the
BLP IIS before the price drop).

I have no relation to GCC except as an ex-employee and a very happy ex-user
of their printers (our site has a LW2NT, so I've been demoted ;-(). Take it
as you will.

Later,

-Ivan Cavero Belaunde
Visualist
DiVA, Digital Video Applications Corp.

Internet: captkidd@ATHENA.MIT.EDU

etxmalk@tore.ericsson.se (Alan Malkiel) (02/28/91)

I would like to post a note of caution to that glowing recommendation.
I purchased a GCC PLP II in August prior to a move to Sweden.  I have
no complaints with the hardware but when I needed customer support,
in the form of a new paper tray, GCC in Massachusetts would only send
"Were sorry but ..." in response to my fax(s).  And GCC in Sweden
never returned my calls or faxes.  Finally I was able to purchase
the tray from GCC in England after 8 weeks of trying.
Let me add a note of thanks to the various readers of this NEWs who
contacted me and GCC in my behalf.
--Alan Malkiel <etxmalk@tore.ericsson.se>