[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Why not computer-in-a-monitor? They already have!

rdk@calmasd.Prime.COM (Richard Kent) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb27.181358.13467@midway.uchicago.edu> jcav@ellis.uchicago.edu (john  cavallino) writes:
> Now that Macintosh motherboards have become so highly integrated and
> therefore SMALL, why not introduce a new design (or designs) putting said
> motherboards inside large-screen monitors.  I could easily picture, for
> instance, the guts of a IIsi mounted inside the portrait display, with a
> slightly taller case to accomodate the floppy disk and the peripheral ports.
> Apple could market it as an all-in-one desktop publishing/word processing
> solution. Many other combinations are possible.
> Is this a crazy idea?  I think not.  Comments?
>
>--

Apple already has a machine with the motherboard built into the monitor.
It has a slightly taller case to accomodate the disk drive and
peripheral ports. Apple has been marketing it as an all-in-one desktop
publishing/word processing solution as well as for other applications.
It has been on the market for several years.

       It's called the Macintosh!

They even have several versions out now.

The latest and greatest model is the Mac SE/30.

John:
   You have a great idea. I'm just wondering how heavy the complete
system would be. I can imagine carrying my new system home from the
computer store. It would be just like having the cpu, diskdrives,
keyboard and monitor all in the same carton. It would way a ton.

BTW, I like being able to put the cpu of my Mac II under the desk.
I just keep the monitor and keyboard  on my desktop. I hate having the
bulk of the cpu case on top of my desk.

          Rick Kent  rdk@calmasd.PRIME.com

 If you wish to reuse any thoughts, concepts or words as
 found in the above, please contact the author and no one
 else for info on where to send the royalty check. ;-)