[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac II, IIX, IICX repair manual

rjudy@dime.cs.umass.edu (Judy Ruot) (02/27/91)

I found Larry Pina's 1990 Macintosh Repair and Upgrade Secrets
a good book. I was wondering if there is a similar book that
covers the Mac II, IIX and IICX. We have few Macintoshes and
many of the Macs and would find such a book much more useful.
If anyone knows of any such book, please post to this group
or send email to rjudy@dime.cs.umass.edu
Thank you.

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (02/28/91)

In article <27230@dime.cs.umass.edu> rjudy@dime.cs.umass.edu (Judy Ruot) writes:
:I found Larry Pina's 1990 Macintosh Repair and Upgrade Secrets
:a good book. I was wondering if there is a similar book that
:covers the Mac II, IIX and IICX. We have few Macintoshes and

Larry mentions a MacII book in the Mac plus/se book  (page 293 )

    I think this is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (02/28/91)

In article <38406@netnews.upenn.edu> jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) writes:
>In article <27230@dime.cs.umass.edu> rjudy@dime.cs.umass.edu (Judy Ruot) writes:
>:I found Larry Pina's 1990 Macintosh Repair and Upgrade Secrets
>:a good book. I was wondering if there is a similar book that
>:covers the Mac II, IIX and IICX. We have few Macintoshes and
>
>Larry mentions a MacII book in the Mac plus/se book  (page 293 )
>
>    I think this is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

No more a mystery - Larry is almost done on his Mac II book and it will
probably ship in the fall.  It won't be H.W. Sams, though, they dropped
Larry just before Mac Repair & Upgrade came out (they didn't think it
would sell!), so the new book is from Brady Books.

He's also got another in the planning stages - a diagnostic, look up the
problem, find the solution book of technical tips and information
gathered over the last three years.

The latter will be either a book or (I've suggested this to him) a series
of technical newsletters available by subscription.  This would get the
information in the hands of the users faster.  If you'd like this sort
of thing, let me know and I'll tell Larry there's interest in it.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."

jnsims01@ulkyvx.bitnet (02/28/91)

>>:I found Larry Pina's 1990 Macintosh Repair and Upgrade Secrets
>>:a good book. I was wondering if there is a similar book that
>>:covers the Mac II, IIX and IICX. We have few Macintoshes and

Absolutely true! This is a great book! We netters owe Mr. Pina at least
a couple of his favorite cold beverages!

> No more a mystery - Larry is almost done on his Mac II book and it will
> probably ship in the fall.  It won't be H.W. Sams, though, they dropped
> Larry just before Mac Repair & Upgrade came out (they didn't think it
> would sell!), so the new book is from Brady Books.

If some kind soul could post to this group when the book is actually
released with title, publisher, price etc., I'll race you to the bookstore
to place my order.

> He's also got another in the planning stages - a diagnostic, look up the
> problem, find the solution book of technical tips and information
> gathered over the last three years.
>
> The latter will be either a book or (I've suggested this to him) a series
> of technical newsletters available by subscription.  This would get the
> information in the hands of the users faster.  If you'd like this sort
> of thing, let me know and I'll tell Larry there's interest in it.

I for one would be very interested, depending on price and whether or not
my boss will hold still while he pays for it... :^). If this project is
done, please post info to the net.

And Owen, if you have a line to Larry Pina, please thank him for me! The
current book is one of the best researched, most clearly written tech books
I've ever run across!

 My wife AND my employer ignore my opinions - feel free to do the same!
* John Norman Sims, Jr.                 *      BITNET: JNSIMS01@ULKYVM *
* University of Louisville              *       Voice:  (502) 588-5565 *
* Computing and Telecommunications      *         Fax:  (502) 588-5048 *
 You can't win, you can't break even, and you can't get out of the game

gilmore@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Larry Gilmore) (03/01/91)

In article <66594@brunix.UUCP> omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) writes:

|No more a mystery - Larry is almost done on his Mac II book and it will
|
|He's also got another in the planning stages - a diagnostic, look up the
|problem, find the solution book of technical tips and information
|gathered over the last three years.
|
|The latter will be either a book or (I've suggested this to him) a series
|of technical newsletters available by subscription.  This would get the
|-Owen

How about a hypercard stack posted to the net or available by sub-
scription?  I'd buy or subscribe to such a beastie!

larry	gilmore@venice.sedd.trw.com