[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Removable hard drives

cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Scum) (05/31/90)

I hope somebody can help me with this. I noticed two messages a while ago to
which nobody responded.

We are planning to purchase a 45MB removable hard drive in the near future
(within a week or two). Our price range is not too high, but it is high
enough to give us some choices. Our main concern is reliability; speed is
not as important.

We are primarily considering the following drives:

	Hard Drives International Powerdrive 44Mb Removable
	Cutting Edge 45Mb removable
	Mirror Technologies RM42
	Ehman 45Mb removable
	Third Wave Computing 45R
	MacLand SyQuest 44Mb removable
	SunStor Systems SunDrive 44R
	DPI 44R
	Power User 40 Mb removable
	ClubMac SyQuest 44Mb removable
	APS SyQuest 45Mb removable
	Maya SyQuest drive
	MacProducts USA 45 Mb removable

Any information on the drives, or, failing that, the manufacturers and/or
distributors would very much be appreciated.

				Thanks a million,
						-- Chris.
--

                                       -- Chris. (cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu)
"People make me pro-nuclear." -- Margarette Smith

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/31/90)

ALL mac suppliers except Bernoulli use the same SyQuest
mechanism (20-22ms, 44-45 MB)

Note, SyQuest previously (last year) had another similar
mechanism with an access time of 25ms and MTBF of 12000 hrs.
The new one (which I think everybody now uses - at least
those with high volumes) has a MTBF of 20-30000 hrs.

I'd go for price, and buy from one of the large mail-order
places (MacZone, for instance) or from APS, about which I
have heard nothing but wonderful happy-customer stories.

I have not, as yet, bought one of these babies, though, and
your mileage may vary...

	Jon W{tte, Stockholm, Sweden, h+@nada.kth.se

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (05/31/90)

In article <1990May31.143801.16615@kth.se> d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>ALL mac suppliers except Bernoulli use the same SyQuest
>mechanism (20-22ms, 44-45 MB)
>
>Note, SyQuest previously (last year) had another similar
>mechanism with an access time of 25ms and MTBF of 12000 hrs.
>The new one (which I think everybody now uses - at least
>those with high volumes) has a MTBF of 20-30000 hrs.

Actually, Microtech is selling the new Ricoh R50 removable
cartridge drives.  Supposedly they're more reliable than
the SyQuests.  (One would certainly hope...)

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | Now that I'm employed,
Consultant                 | standard disclaimer applies.   :-)

shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (09/17/90)

I am looking to buy a Syquest, and a brief perusal of the ads seems to show
three competitively priced models: Mirror, Cutting Edge, and HDI.  I was just
wondering if anybody had any good or bad things to say about these products (or
any other that you might recommend).

Please E-mail me any comments - if there is any interest, I'll summarize to the
net.
---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center MN65-2100
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Williams RD) (03/01/91)

I'm thinking of getting a removable, cartridge-style, hard-disc drive for my
macintosh and would be grateful of any comments on the reliability, speed and
ease of use of these items. There are several companies advertising 40-45MB
discs; are they all based on the same mechanism?  Suppose I wanted to copy
between cartridges; can I do this by swapping them in floppy fashion?

Thanks,
Richard.