[comp.sys.mac.hardware] '040 Accelerators, Follow-up

eaeu137@orion.oac.uci.edu (Andrew Theodore Laurence) (02/28/91)

Someone posted an inquiry about whether or not these accelerators replace the
stock '030.  Nope.  They're independent, PDS cards.

Also, I've now seen ads for two:  The one by Total Systems (Magellan), and now
one by Ventura Technologies (or something very close).  Differences:

Magellan:
  '040 PDS card for the IIsi, SE/30, fx(?).  25MHz.  Retails something like
  $2000-$3000, depending on when you buy.  (The former price is only through
  March, I believe.)

Ventura Tech:
 They make two, a 50MHz '030, and a 50MHz '040.  Both are available for the
  LC, ci. (Possibly cx also, I forget.)
  The '030 sells for $1495, completely upgradeable to the '040 with a FULL
  credit trade-in.  (i.e. $1495 off price of '040 on upgrade.)
  The ad doesn't say whether or not it's a card or a cpu replacement.

Both have ads in the March MacUser (Eddy issue), pages 30 and 319,
respectively.

--Andrew Laurence
  eaeu137@orion.oac.uci.edu

tcwan@umiami.ir.miami.edu (03/01/91)

In article <27CC7912.23731@orion.oac.uci.edu>, eaeu137@orion.oac.uci.edu (Andrew Theodore Laurence) writes:
> Someone posted an inquiry about whether or not these accelerators replace the
> stock '030.  Nope.  They're independent, PDS cards.
>
> Also, I've now seen ads for two:  The one by Total Systems (Magellan), and now
> one by Ventura Technologies (or something very close).  Differences:
>
> Magellan:
>   '040 PDS card for the IIsi, SE/30, fx(?).  25MHz.  Retails something like
>   $2000-$3000, depending on when you buy.  (The former price is only through
>   March, I believe.)
>
> Ventura Tech:
>  They make two, a 50MHz '030, and a 50MHz '040.  Both are available for the
>   LC, ci. (Possibly cx also, I forget.)
>   The '030 sells for $1495, completely upgradeable to the '040 with a FULL
>   credit trade-in.  (i.e. $1495 off price of '040 on upgrade.)
>   The ad doesn't say whether or not it's a card or a cpu replacement.
>
> Both have ads in the March MacUser (Eddy issue), pages 30 and 319,
> respectively.
>
> --Andrew Laurence
>   eaeu137@orion.oac.uci.edu

Thanks for answering, but I guess my question was not phrased clearly :)
What I would like to know is:
   When you place the '040 board into the computer, does it take over
completely and disable the operation of the '030 on the motherboard?
Or does it act as a sort of a co-processor and relegate periphery i/o
functions to the '030?

It would seem like a neat way to obtain a QuickDraw accelerator, if the '030
on board can be made to perform all the graphics routines, while the '040
board handles the actual program execution and number crunching.
Is this at all feasable, or does the PDS slot not allow two CPUs to share
the memory bus (or whatever bus which is present on the PDS)?

Thanks for any information, I'll summarize if I receive any responses by
email.

Tat Chee Wan (T.C.)
Grad student,
University of Miami, FL