[comp.sys.mac.hardware] mac II fx and NTX SIMMs

nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) (02/27/91)

Is it true that the IIfx and NTX SIMMs are the same? I have 8 1Mb SIMMs
taken out of a IIfx. Can they be used in an NTX? I also have some 256K
NTX SIMMs. Are they OK for a IIfx?

Paul Nevai                            nevai@mps.ohio-state.edu (Internet)
Department of Mathematics             nevai@ohstpy (BITNET)
The Ohio State University             1-(614)-292-3317 (Office)
P.O. Box 3341                         1-(614)-292-5310 (Answering Machine)
Columbus, OH 43210-0341, USA          1-(614)-459-5615 (FAX)

dth@shark.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb26.185216.24473@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) writes:
>Is it true that the IIfx and NTX SIMMs are the same? I have 8 1Mb SIMMs
>taken out of a IIfx. Can they be used in an NTX? I also have some 256K
>NTX SIMMs. Are they OK for a IIfx?

According the the new issue of MacUser, this is indeed the case.  It
seems that the SIMMs for the IIfx and the LWNTX both have more contacts
than do the regular Mac SIMMs, to avoid slowdown due to data
bottlenecking during transfers.  MacUser also stated that most Macintosh
computers can use the 9-chip IBM SIMMs without problems; the Mac will
just ignore the ninth chip.

Dave Hightower		|    opinion? I'm allowed to have an opinion?
dth@cis.ufl.edu		| well, if I DID have one, it'd be mine, all mine!
"The world's major troublespots these days were formerly known only
 to crossword-puzzle fans."                              --Val Tupy

jcav@ellis.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (03/03/91)

In article <27185@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> dth@shark.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) writes:
>In article <1991Feb26.185216.24473@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) writes:
>>Is it true that the IIfx and NTX SIMMs are the same? I have 8 1Mb SIMMs
>>taken out of a IIfx. Can they be used in an NTX? I also have some 256K
>>NTX SIMMs. Are they OK for a IIfx?
>
>According the the new issue of MacUser, this is indeed the case.  It
>seems that the SIMMs for the IIfx and the LWNTX both have more contacts
>than do the regular Mac SIMMs, to avoid slowdown due to data
>bottlenecking during transfers.  MacUser also stated that most Macintosh
>computers can use the 9-chip IBM SIMMs without problems; the Mac will
>just ignore the ninth chip.

Don't forget that the Mac IIfx CANNOT use 256K SIMMS (of any type).

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145