[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Best HD Backup medium?

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (03/02/91)

What is the best medium for backing up your HDs?  I'm looking for an
item with the following characteristics:

1. Reliable

2. Convenient

3. Fast

(In that order.)

I am considering tape cartridges and Syquest drives right now.  I am a
little afraid of Syquests, as I've had some very bad experiences with
the quality of the media (and this was running SilverLining, so the
drivers should have been beyond reproach).

jas

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

udrubini@mcs.drexel.edu (David F. Rubinic) (03/04/91)

In article <16964@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

>What is the best medium for backing up your HDs?  I'm looking for an
>item with the following characteristics:
>
>1. Reliable
>
>2. Convenient
>
>3. Fast
>
>(In that order.)
>
>I am considering tape cartridges and Syquest drives right now.  I am a
>little afraid of Syquests, as I've had some very bad experiences with
>the quality of the media (and this was running SilverLining, so the
>drivers should have been beyond reproach).
>
>jas
>
>--
>Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
>jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
>jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

   I have been using a Teac based tape drive with Retrospect for some time now,
and have been very satisfied with it.  It does a complete backup of my 140 meg
HD in 30-45 minutes, plus it does incrementals alot faster (depending on the
changes since last time).

udrubini@mcs.drexel.edu              "But these go to eleven..."
                                        - Spinal Tap