[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Need a hard disk...

aasg7935@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Anton A Sanderfoot) (03/05/91)

Hello,

	I've had a MacSE for about a year now, and after upgrading the memory
a while ago, I've decided I need a hard disk. I don't think I need anything
too big, a 20Mb is probably large enough. What I need to know is where I
might get a good and inexpensive drive. Through educational discount, I can
get a HD20 from Apple for about $450. Is this a good deal, or can I get a
second manufacturers hard disk for less, and if so, is it a real pain to hook
up and use. Thanks if you can point me in the right direction, please respond
to me by e-mail.

--
________--_--________-->  I'm a biologist who studies life,
				but, that doesn't mean I have to have one...

               Tony Sanderfoot  aasg7935@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

In article <1991Mar5.003810.21224@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> aasg7935@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Anton A Sanderfoot) writes:
>Hello,
>
>	I've had a MacSE for about a year now, and after upgrading the memory
>a while ago, I've decided I need a hard disk. I don't think I need anything
>too big, a 20Mb is probably large enough. What I need to know is where I
>might get a good and inexpensive drive. Through educational discount, I can
>get a HD20 from Apple for about $450. Is this a good deal, or can I get a
>second manufacturers hard disk for less, and if so, is it a real pain to hook
>up and use. Thanks if you can point me in the right direction, please respond
>to me by e-mail.

Well, 20MB is almost certainly not enough (no number you can mention is enough)
But I think you can get _40_ megabytes for cheaper than that.  Check the
ads in the back of MacWorld and MacUser.

They are easy to set up, involving one cable, one 'terminator', and one
power cord.
I mine 600 wells, and whaddo I get?  Another day older and deeper in debt!
	--- Saddam Hussein.

aasg7935@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Anton A Sanderfoot) (03/06/91)

	Thanks to all who steered me away from apple hard drives, instead I
went to MacUser (as suggested by too many people to mention) and got a 3rd
party 40 mb. It's probably 39 mb more than I need (OK probably 30) but it
was much cheaper, and I suppose I'll probably use it all up any way.

	Now, I have another question concerning monitors. My SE monitor is a
little too small to read an entire page of documents I am WP'ng. It's not so
bad, but I think I may have found a way around it. Back in the dark ages, when
I had a //c, I used to hook up my TV (Sharp Vi Linytron (?)) to my //c and use
it as a monitor when I was in the mood for color. The monitor cable, single
prong VCR (RCA I think, I don't know cable types) type that was used in the //c
fit into the TV, and it worked fine as a monitor. What I'm wondering is if I
could do this type of thing with my mac? If so, what type of cable and hook ups
do I need? And, is it really worth it in the end? E-mail me if you can help.

	Thanks again to all who helped me with the hard disk, and thanks in
advance to anyone who can help me with the monitor problem.